New L Plate restrictions for NSW

Chat about anything and everything.

Should the number of hours be changed

Yes - I'm an old coote and we need t get these hooligans off our roads
77%
No - WTF were they thinking, if any thing it's going to lead to more unlicensed drivers on our roads
23%

Total votes: 13
Nick

In June the RTA are changing the legal number of learning hours from 50 to 120.

f*#king BASTARDS

I could go on about how angry I am, but I rather not angry up the blood so I'll finish with this.

Do you think they should change the number of hours from 50 to 120
[img]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/mightyboy91/sig111.gif[/img]
daronk18

yeah course they should for 2 reasons.
1. im not in nsw and
2. cos i already have my licence... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brokenshire

It's a joke!

Enough people go dodgey on the fifty now.

What about limiting the power / weight ratio like they do with bikes?
me217

u think thats bad, in qld there bring in a 200 hour requirement. lucky i already got my p's

me217
me217

1985 suzuki mighty boy : mods, f8b
1990 toyota mr2 gt import : mods, turbo timer, short shifter, 2.5" exhaust
1992 suzuki sierra : mods, g16b mpfi, 235's/75, snorkel & lift on the way.
Gladier

hey - first of all i call offence to bieng called an old coote.

second of all - 120 is nothing ... i ended up doing over 130 on my licence

and if you count the number of deaths - all of which CAN be avoided through having the full number of lessons and attended the spinout courses.

imho this is lenient. - if it were up to me it would be - 30 hours worth of lessons with a driving school - then another 100 with parent/friend. then goto do a written/touchscreen test including HPTs and then go on your drive with an assesor. also in that time you must attend 5 spinout courses.

then we might not have so many dangerous drivers on the damn roads.
ceej

:stupid:

Although im a young driver, i know that there is no substitute for practice! If you really want a license bad, then you must like driving, and hence 120 hours would be more time spent driving...

In the ACT we dont have to get hours up, we can just go for a one off test, or we can do 6 lessons (minimum) with an instructor (one of which is a final test) and get our license that way... And we have some really farking stupid drivers because of it. I was just watching cars this arvo, it had just rained and i was watching them go around a corner. At least one out of every ten cars spun the wheels, probably three out of every five of them came sooo close to crashing it was not funny (even though i laughed :P )

But in the end, if you dont want to do the hours, then in my opinion your not too keen on driving, and so you dont really need a license...
Garry. Nuff sed!
me217

i agree. but theres a problem with that, people will think since theyve done all that they will be an expert driver and drive even more stupid.

me217
me217

n2o_spark

it would be a good idea, however its not practical for everyone.
perhaps someone can only get hours with an instructor as their parents don't
drive, and they don't have anyone who can take them for free....
it will end up costing a fortune.

my guess would be that you'd get a lot more people faking hours.
i think i faked about 30 or so hours to get my p's (only needed 50). but after that i did heaps of driving.
highside

I think the more practice the better. It's different in NZ, my daughter got her learners Sept 06 at 15 y/o and can go for her restricted (or P's) in 6 months, there are no minimum driving hours only minimum time, great idea but with potentially dangerous repercussions. Unfortunately I have been beside her in a carpark no less and mate...she really needs to learn how to calculate the size of the vehicle around her compared to the area in which she is driving. Ppl talk about young drivers not being experienced enough to handle the speed/weather conditions but I believe there are alot of different factors that come into it. The problem is that not everything can be taught by someone else, alot of the time you need to experience something in order to learn from it. I mean how many ppl can you name that haven't written off their first car? Especially young drivers cos they 'know everything'. Personally I think the one thing that should be mandatory is for them to undertake (and pass) a defensive driving course before getting their P's.
kidwithahatch

although i only have my l's i dont think it cums down to being a good or bad driver but the way they drive. If they weren't so keen to impress there mates and shit like speeding and spinnig the wheels then they would be a lot more under control. Its f#####g stupid that the good drivers have to spend more time behind the wheel just because of the dickheads
me217

so true kidwithahatch.
most the time i drive sensible. but every known and then i might b bored so i put the foot down a bit more on take off and skip the wheels abit but thats it. i was just lucky i got my p's b4 all these new laws.

me217
me217

kidwithahatch

yeh i got my p's b4 the 120 hr law came in so im a bit lucky. i know what u mean i get a bit bored and get up it a little bit even on my l's but no stupid shit its not that hard
Colin

hey im a old fart ...when i got my p plates at 16 nine months (i think) i like most of my mates had been driving for years ...i learnt to drive when i was 12
the p platers of today probibly do know everything but putting it into practice is a different story ...as in they couldnt drive a greasy stick up a pigs arce
i recon the more hours you need to drive the better OR should you be handed your licence cause your like a minority group ...learn to drive a car and then go out on the road when youve got a bit of a idea of self control and then i might feel a bit more happier when i take my family out while you "new " drivers are on thew road
I drove tow trucks for 15 years and saw too many tempory tenage aussies while on the job most of them were "really good drivers" ... :|
MORE BEER! :beer:
me217

yeah ive bin driving around the farm for years b4 i got my licence. and one of my mates had pretty much never drivin b4 gettin his and i passed first time on the test and hes going for his 2nd attemp this week so i reckon it makes a big difference. also being able to drive on a farm. you can act like an idiot behind the wheel and only endanger yourself. so you get most the stupid out of you by the time you get on the road.

me217
me217

Gladier

n2o_spark wrote:it would be a good idea, however its not practical for everyone.
perhaps someone can only get hours with an instructor as their parents don't
drive, and they don't have anyone who can take them for free....
it will end up costing a fortune.

my guess would be that you'd get a lot more people faking hours.
i think i faked about 30 or so hours to get my p's (only needed 50). but after that i did heaps of driving.
and tell me how much money is a life worth???? bedides the govt would have to substitute