EOI: Exhaust flange plates

Need to offload some Suzuki parts? Do it here.
Brayden

Following on from a discussion in another thread, an idea has been floated to get a heap of CNC milled/laser cut exhaust face plates made.

These have the potential to be used as a base for any exhaust shop (or you!) to make custom extractors or a turbo manifold.

The plates would be to suit F5A/F8B/F6A and probably F5B if someone can confirm the bolt pattern.

So put your hand up if you'd have a use for one of these plates and you'd be willing to buy one.
I'm not sure on cost at the moment, as it will depend on numbers.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
fritz

I spend my days working with CAD, so I'm happy to do some dwgs. :wink:
It might take a week or two while I make some time though. :cry:

So, pending the final design and price - I'll be in for one (stainless for me)
Trevor

Im in if not too price crazy
calibur

yeah i'm in
stevan_istheman

Very interesting to say the least...
Hit us up with a ball park figure, bocause i got no idea what they'd cost. :wink:
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
ceej

Price pending, put my name down.
Garry. Nuff sed!
Brokenshire

Are we going down the path of possible bulk/group purchases of custom parts again?

If it's also going to continue in the future for other custom parts
to be used as a base for any exhaust shop (or you!) to make custom extractors or a turbo manifold.
(in particular turbo's) Count me in.

I Know that not everyone has money to spend (least of all me) but if we can nut out a group keen for getting stuff made to upgrade our cars over a length of time, (and people stay committed) It can benefit everyone.

And yes, I know that everyone has very different engines and engine conditions, but what does any one think? Just get a list of stuff that's going to be needed for a certain upgrade, say five people want to do that, pool the money and get it organised part by part, over an agreed time frame. Everyone benefits by not wasting time sourcing parts/manufacturers in each state, bulk discounts, eberyone sharing the same problems at the same time.

yes/no?
gremlin

ceej wrote:Price pending, put my name down.
Ditto :P
ceej

Brokenshire wrote:Are we going down the path of possible bulk/group purchases of custom parts again?

If it's also going to continue in the future for other custom parts
to be used as a base for any exhaust shop (or you!) to make custom extractors or a turbo manifold.
(in particular turbo's) Count me in.

I Know that not everyone has money to spend (least of all me) but if we can nut out a group keen for getting stuff made to upgrade our cars over a length of time, (and people stay committed) It can benefit everyone.

And yes, I know that everyone has very different engines and engine conditions, but what d

oes any one think? Just get a list of stuff that's going to be needed for a certain upgrade, say five people want to do that, pool the money and get it organised part by part, over an agreed time frame. Everyone benefits by not wasting time sourcing parts/manufacturers in each state, bulk discounts, eberyone sharing the same problems at the same time.

yes/no?
At the moment, the deal is a group buy on a custom bit. The best way to do what you want to do (i.e. group buy on turbo manifolds) would probably to get these made up, then the people that wish to go turbo can get to gether and organize for EACH person to go out to exhaust shops in their state/locality and get quotes on how much it would cost for a separate group buy then come back to the group and put their findings up. Once the cheapest quote is found, you can work on a group buy from there.

Getting Brayden to do the face plates, then go out and do 3 turbo manifolds of one type and 4 of another, and 6 extractors is just gonna end up bad. People will start getting angry cause of the time its taking, start wanting to withdraw money cause it has taken too long and the list goes on...

Thats the way i see things happening anyway, and i don't want to see anyone out of pocket.
Garry. Nuff sed!
stevan_istheman

Is there any big problem using turbo manifolds as extractors?
Just gotta get the flange on the pipe fabricated to suit the manifold.
Or would the runners on the manifold be the wrong size?

I dunno, just an idea. :wink:
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
bswift16

i am in for face plates let me know how they come along :)
willing to prove red ones go faster
fritz

Presumably people want a plate matched to the exhaust ports (ie the exact shape of the ports so as to use standard gasket) - onto which they'll weld round primaries?

I'm probably looking at round holes on the plate (I'll have to try to match the head ports to the extractors..) with the primaries welded inside the plate - I've been told this is a stronger design.

If people chose to go the route of round holes, then there is the issue of what size primaries (holes in the plate) to go for...

Decisions, decisions... :)
Brayden

Fritz, I guess for the purposes of a group buy we're looking at the fitment that will suit the majority of buyers - in this case a port-matched (rectangular holed) plate, sized to suit an F8B. This can still be used on F6A or F5A motors.

The design style you have posted is probably stronger, but when you consider the weight of a set of 3 cyl extractors is only a couple of kilos, and that there are ample places to brace the runners against the engine, then strength becomes less of an issue - well that's my logic anyway! :D

The home made extractors I have are just pipes welded to the flange plate, and even without a braided flex joint they didn't ever crack at the head end of the runners.

To answer stevan's question, you can't really use a turbo manifold as extractors. Extractors are (or should be) designed to 'scavenge' the exhaust pulses from the motor, and create an effect where exhaust gasses are efficiently drawn out through the system.
A turbo manifold isn't designed with those things in mind. ;)
fritz

That's cool Brayden :wink:
I just thought I'd clear that up. In that case I probably wont join in the buy, but am still happy to draw up the pattern for you guys, as the changes for me will be minimal. Just let us know what scale you want them drawn to when (if) the time comes... :wink:
Brayden

Thanks mate. I'd like to accomodate everyone's ideas into the group buy, so if you can get enough interest in your round port idea then there's no reason we couldn't make two types of plate.