just a thought...

The latest Team MightyBoy news and updates, plus your ideas and feedback
Cookie

Hey guys,
as you are aware, most of the nicer Mighty Boys getting around have modified front bars. Having looked through many posts, I've come across bits and pieces about them here and there but not enough to feel I'd be confident doing one myself. Has anyone thought of doing a tech article on this subject with photos of each stage and what needs doing...where the brackets go, what dimensions it has to be cut to, what equipment is best to use, what are the best and most compatible front bars etc.
Brayden and Colin, you both have great looking front bars (as do many others) so maybe if either of you had the time or were planning to do another in the future, you could give this a go....I'm sure all the members would appreciate it.....just a thought.

Cookie
Brayden

Certainly a good idea in theory, but the problem is that no two people have the same front bar, so the process is completely different for each person.

Where I have used a plastic front bumper, trimmed it and made brackets to suit, Colin has fabricated his from fibreglass and used his own mounting points and brackets.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Cookie

fair enough...maybe if someone could just put together a basic "getting started" info sheet on which bars are easiest to modify/closest fit, how to rejoin where you've cut and any hints on mounting it/ lining it up.

As side skirts are almost a necessity with a custom front bar, incorporating info on custom fitting these would help to.

I know you guys are overloaded with requests like these but I realy think many owners would love this info to give them the confidence to have a go at creating something different.

So if anyone who has done it sucessfully could find the time to put the process down in writing (maybe with some photos) I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to be grateful

Cookie
Brokenshire

maybe if someone could just put together a basic "getting started" info sheet on which bars are easiest to modify/closest fit, how to rejoin where you've cut and any hints on mounting it/ lining it up.
I Second that.

And yes we do know that it's different if you have a fibre glass vs plastic kit, but please help where possible.

I've done net searches on the subject in the past and couldn't find much of any use.
Brayden

To be honest I could sum up how I fitted mine in about 5 lines:

- Removed existing bumper and brackets
- Trimmed Cervo Mode front bar to fit using a Dremel
- Marked, cut and rolled front guards
- Installed gal 90 degree angle brackets under each headlight for support
- Attached front bar with cable ties and hooked up wiring

I don't have any measurements or templates for what I trimmed, it was all done by trial and error.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Brokenshire

See i've got a kit off a ford wagon i had once. the curves line up pretty well but obviously severley oversized. i'd love to hack it in half and rejoin it but not sure what is used to strengthen the fibrglas joint.
mightyboy

i got halfway through making a bar for my boy then gave up, it was off a rodeo,
i had cut in half and got one side finished,
i planned to do the same with the other.
then make a sub frame that bolted to the existing mounts and fibreglass that frame to the bar.
run a strip on fibreglass along the join in the back of the bar and bog up the front.

though the proccess is flawed, if the bar flexed a little to much the bog will pop out of the join in the front. maybe a small amount of fibreglass could be inserted.
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/purple_monkey_fish/mightyboy.gif[/img]