cooked my head

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
Jake.G

how do i go about getting a new head and gaskets and that?

whats the best way to go about things. new to the whole carry van thing and dont have a clue...

roughly how much am i up for?
Brayden

Lets start with telling us what model Carry, and what size engine! :wink:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Jake.G

88 5 spd 1000cc.

mechanic said theyr gonna get the head machined and rebuild it. told me $1000.

whats your oppinion?
Brayden

I reckon that for an extra $500 or so you could get the motor completely rebuilt!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Nehemiah

Mate, thats a ripoff! If you have the knowhow or want to learn, dont do it. I went to u-pull-it and ripped a head off a 800cc motor. Cost me 200 for that and a full gasket set from sprint autos. Still, if you dont like that idea shop around you could get the work done cheaper. Also, you will need to fix the problem that cooked the head.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
Al_Zhiemer

Holy shit :-o

$1000 just for a head rebuild? thats way over priced.

Valves are about $100 each to replace in these heads, so for $1000 i would be expecting a complete set of brand new valves. I just had the head rebuilt for my F8B, including the $100 it cost me for a complete valve regrind gasket set the whole thing cost me about $300.

Cheers.
Drive: 1997 Toyota Starlet... (the incognito mobile)
1985 Suzuki Mighty Boy, currently being restored.
1995 Nissan GT-R33

Why doesn't the Gene Pool have life gaurds??
Jake.G

yea they said they gotta machine the head etc.

i know nothing about how to go about getting cheap parts etc and i know there prob gonna rip me off but what can i do? im a 16yo that doesnt no a thing about motors haha
Al_Zhiemer

OK, simple.

Stage 1. Remove the head yourself, it really isn't that difficult to do and is a great learning experience.

Stage 2. Take the head unit in yourself and ask for a written quote on what the repairs are going to cost and what work is going to be done. Tell them you want it itemised.

Stage 3. Start doing the leg work and go visit a couple of other repair centres and get quotes from them.

Cheers.
1995 Nissan GT-R33

Nehemiah

Good advice Al_Zhiemer.

Getting the head out can prove a little tricky, as there is a fair bit you will have to remove in order to get the sucker out. Still it'll save you a heap.

Ive got a few shots in my build thread of when I had my head off (also cooked). I had my radiator rebuilt and it holds temp like a champ now!

If you get stuck just post with a pic or two.

Cheers,
Sam.

BTW sorry for my last post, I was posting from my phone. (internet is down at home :evil: )
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
Jermaine

its not quite that simple tho, ya gotta make sure ya line the timin marks up first and know were they go
Al_Zhiemer

quickest, easiest way i use to find top dead centre is to remove number one spark plug. fold a peice of wrag or paper, jam it in to the spark plug hole so it fits in tight and then tap the ignition on and off until the peice of wrag/paper pops out of the spark plug hole.

Make sure all your timing marks are inline, before you remove the timing chain. mark the chain, cam sprocket so you know where they line up and do the same to the crankshaft sprocket and chain. this way you can make sure you get the lines and marks lined up in the correct position when re-installing.

When it comes to re-installing the head, wind over the cam until number 4 valves are rocking and that will give you top dead centre and allow all your timing marks to line back up.

Yes the timing can be tricky but it doesn't take a genius.

Cheers
1995 Nissan GT-R33

ceej

Al_Zhiemer wrote:OK, simple.

Stage 1. Remove the head yourself, it really isn't that difficult to do and is a great learning experience.

Stage 2. Take the head unit in yourself and ask for a written quote on what the repairs are going to cost and what work is going to be done. Tell them you want it itemised.

Stage 3. Start doing the leg work and go visit a couple of other repair centres and get quotes from them.

Cheers.
And step 4. Don't let them know that you are a "16yo that doesnt no a thing about motors haha". Read up, build up your knowledge of what makes an engine work. It is really simple, especially in small Suzukis. The cave men invented fire, and we use that to make our cars go.
Garry. Nuff sed!
wil101

just blew my head gasket aswell.. luckly i know abit about motors.. and sorry for hi-jacking your thread jake but yours is all fixed now and mine is broken haha

anyway since i got my carry its got abit hot sometimes on random occasions i firstly thought it was the thermostat just getting stuck.. so bought a new one and didnt fix it by this time it had started overheating more.. took out the thermostat and just ran nothing.. still overheating.. ended up breaking down. figured out i blew the gasket when i opened the radiator cap and turned the motor over the water would splash out so yeah...

while i have it in bits.. is there any mods i can do or things i should check ? its a 89 f10a

and it will be forsale in december as im going overseas
89 Suzuki Super Carry :)