Alto Works RSX: Gearbox Rebuild

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
gilly

Brayden wrote:It should be stamped on the edge of the bellhousing closest to the block.
so this can be viewed from above or below the engine bay?

Cheers mate.
1988 Suzuki Alto Works RSX F5A Gearbox - FOR SALE!
Brayden

Depends on where it is stamped. It won't usually be on the bottom, typically the front or rear of the housing.

I'll check mine tonight and let you know.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gilly

Hey how did you go with this? Did you find the part number on the box?

Thanls!
Brayden

Yeah I grabbed the gearbox off the shelf and had a good look from every angle... couldn't see a single marking on it! Unless it is hidden under the road grime on the bottom, but I'll have to clean it up another day.
gilly

Brayden wrote:Yeah I grabbed the gearbox off the shelf and had a good look from every angle... couldn't see a single marking on it! Unless it is hidden under the road grime on the bottom, but I'll have to clean it up another day.
Ah bugger! I guess Ill need to get under my with a good torch, plenty of degreaser, and plenty of patience and try to find it. My car has been off the road for 6 weeks now (or has it been more??!!) and I really cant afford to have it off the road for much longer.

Cheers mate for your efforts.
Brayden

My money is on there being no markings on it at all. Did you end up buying that other Alto?
gilly

nah I didnt. It was all going to be a bit risky and time consuming to buy a whole car to part out just to be able to swap the gearbox for one in an other state - so thats why where looking at getting my box rebuilt now.

Being the shape it is, Im a bit worried it might be a bit difficult to move the parts - and the fact that the owner wasnt too keen on me bringing a mechanic to try and get the engine started prior to buying it (it hasnt been run for 2 years).
Brayden

Yeah if the guy won't let you start it before purchase then it isn't worth the hassle.

I doubt you would have trouble parting it out, it just depends on how long you were willing to have the car sitting around. ;)