MB hill climber

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
mightyboy

just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of a hill climb mightyboy? i have decided that my MB is a prefect candidate for the job.

i have a few opptions on the cards.
-i already have an old 1.8 subaru engine. was considering that, (if it would fit.) would definately have the torque required. then maybe a turbo. see how we go.

-or i get a 1000cc or bigger motor bike engine and run that.

looks like i may already have a diff lined up out of a purpose built hill climber imported from japan. the tricky part is going to get a gearbox to fit the subaru, or making an adaption for the motorbike engine. the motorbike engine is lookin like a favorite at the moment.

if i do manage to get this project underway and finished then i would imagine that this would be a great hill climber, drag car and burnout car.

what do you recon?
Cheers
Jarrod
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/purple_monkey_fish/mightyboy.gif[/img]
Brayden

I reckon you should consult the CAMS handbook, an engineer, the class guidelines, and some competitors from your local hillclimb circuit before you start thinking about anything else.

Also, what is your budget?

I know of two hillclimb MB's. One with an AWD Alto Works setup and a completely rose jointed rear end, the other with a rear-mounted Rover V8. The first is a serious competition racer, the other is good for the novelty factor and thats about it.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mightyboy

ha. to right, with a rear mounted V8 the bloody car would always be on 2 wheels!

now that you mention it i will get in touch with some hill climb officals to find out guidelines.

and as for budget. HA. wish i could say that money was no object, but im limited buy a tight budjet and will have to save for alot of the parts required. but i dont intend on having it done tomorrow so i can buy as i need. all labour will be free. either done by myself or my fathers students at the A.T.C.

do hillclimbers and the alike need to be engineered? that could be painfull
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/purple_monkey_fish/mightyboy.gif[/img]
Brayden

Registration depends on the class you plan to run in. Regardless, the car will need to be scrutineered at each event.

I asked about budget not just because of the cost of building the car, but the cost of running it. I'm a member of the local hillclimb club here, and to attend all events next year I'm looking at a total of about $1400 in fees & required safety gear. That doesn't factor in tyres, brakes, fuel and breakages.

Motorsport ain't cheap!
mightyboy

not wrong. karting cost my old boy a mountain.

by the time i imagine this thing will be finished i will be a tradesman. so i should be able to blow abit of dosh on a race or two. i was planning on buildin an old hq and race that in the old school class races. but this is alot more interesting. may still do that yet, but later on.

what do you mean by rose joint?

aslo. what do u enter into hill climbs? the MB?
Brayden

Yep I'll be running the MB next year, although I picked up a cheap Swift that might be better to throw around until I learn the track a bit more.

Rose joint is a type of suspension mounting joint.
mightyboy

id go with the swift first up too. ive only seen one hill climb and that was in newcastle. from what i had seen, a N/A car should do alright as long as your prepared to flog it. it was pretty poor actally. noone really gave it a hard go except the guys with a rediculous amount of horse power. even then they just used it as a windy burnout pad.

plus some tracks can be tight enough to do abit of damage if a corner is misjudged.
Al_Zhiemer

If the track you are going to Brayden is the track at the driver education centre over near queanbeyan, than you are going to have a lot of fun. i have been over that track a number of times when i lived down there, i know i never broke no records... i was a bit of a girl when i drove it as it was when i first got the GTR and still learning about how the car handled. sure like to give it a crack now though :)
Drive: 1997 Toyota Starlet... (the incognito mobile)
1985 Suzuki Mighty Boy, currently being restored.
1995 Nissan GT-R33

Why doesn't the Gene Pool have life gaurds??
Brayden

Yep that's the one. I've been going there for a few years now. Great people and a great track.