Mightyboy Respray

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
AJ

Well day one people and im preparing the car for a respray, figured seeing as i was having engine trouble i might as well fix all the cosmetic damage as well.

So far have started to pull all the little bits and pieces of including all glass and interior, i plan on doing a full respray, minus enginebay (will wait until i get and fit new engine).

Well all sounds good doesnt it but ive hit upon a few problems already.

1. Front rhs quaterpanel has been skillfully welded in place (idiot former owner)

2. the peices are mounting up and i havent got shit all room left.

3. my dash is a SOB and refuses to come off. ive disconnected almost everything and as far as i can see its only the internal heater control that is holding it on, cant figure how to get it off. (will post pic soon) The controler is attatched by screws i cant get to and the only other way i can see to diconnect it is to take off those steel cables that open and close shit (one of them runs through to the engine bay.

So please if anyone has any idea as to how to remove it without much damage please let me know.

Thanks AJ :oops:
Jermaine

i undid the cables
Brayden

Likewise.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
AJ

:) cheers guys i know it seem'd like a silly question but first timer.
Thanks heaps
AJ

Ok well the respray is very slow going and now having a bit of a issue getting the trim from window out without damaging it and hopefully without having to remove the window itself.

Not sure how to post a pic of what i mean either.
Thanks AJ
Brayden

My guess is that you're talking about either the black plastic outer trim, or the chrome/felt inside window strip.

The outer trim is removed by using a flathead screwdriver underneath and levering it up by spinning the screwdriver. Work your way slowly from one end to the other. Because the clips get rusty and dirty it will probably make some horrible noises, but shouldn't crack if you take your time.

Once you have removed the outside trim, the inside chrome strip can be removed by using the same screwdriver, but inserting downwards between the strip and the door. Personally I would remove the window first - it makes removing the trim easier, and saves inevitable overspray on the glass.

The glass is held in by two screws at the bottom. Chances are that they will be rusted solid, so go apeshit with WD40 before you try and undo them. Get a big phillips head screwdriver and wrap a rag around the handle to give yourself plenty of grip to undo them. Careful not to strip the heads or you'll be using a Dremel to try and fix them!
AJ

THANK YOU

Yea im stuck with the chrome felt one, but now im off to give it a shot. thanks brayden. :D
gazuga

or if you do strip the heads, get a bottle of screwdriver helper from jaycar, amazing how bad the screw head can be and still be undone.
AJ

:( yea both doors had one that refused to be undone, ill pick up a bottle tomorrow but atm it looks like im going to have to wait till the weekend when im back in canberra so i can steal my dads dremel. :D
mighty mad

Hey I got a screw in my dash, last one! :(, that just won't come out it was turning heaps then must have hit a rust spot and won't budge and the heads getting worse everytime I go to try a new way ne ideas? Cheers guys
Brayden

Which screw in particular? Try soaking it in lubricant and leave it for an hour, or use an impact driver to loosen it.
mighty mad

Its the one in the right hand corner a inpact won't fit in and I've tried wd40 but didn't budge ill pile a fuk load on and let it soak for longer this time cheers m8
Tez

Can you get a good grip on the head with vice-grips? - It will f#%K the head, but it might enable you to get it out...
Tez
So the adventure continues...
AJ

mate i feel your pain i had to drill a couple of screws out because they refused to move and using force just striped the heads.

What worked for a few of mine were getting a dremel or similar and recutting the heads deeper for more grip.
Good luck anyway mate. :?
mighty mad

Haven't had a chance 2 give it another go later when I get the chance, na vice grips don't fit, think im gona drill it out when I get the chance cheers guys