Few problems.

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
Brayden

No engine conversion is without its hassles and headaches. I would say that rebuilding the standard motor is your best bet. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Jake.G

nah i think ill just leave it and go back to it when i forget how much i hate braking down ages away from home.

then do something about it.

the motor its got in it now is some other 1L motor with no numbers or anything (deffinately not stock) and the problems seem to be getting worse and worse everytime.

i have no mechanical knowledge other than put oil, petrol and coolent in so i dont think an 88 model unreliable motor is for me.

its had a slow oil leak for a while now that i couldnt find so ive just been keeping it topped up. (checking everyweek usually top up like once a month)

was running real good for a month or 2 and oil checks were normal when all of a sudden it starts ticking and losing power. i check the oil and its completely empty.

put oil in and its still ticking loud as and no power and deffinately not driveable.

theres also alot of pressure coming out of the top of the motor like on top of the pistons etc. (the little round cover that twists/pulls off) which im told is not a good sign.
Karu

Hi Carry lovers, I am Karu I live east of Melbourne where the Yarra begins its journey and after years of hassling my old man for his 1985 Super Carry he finally (although very difficult) relented to my pressure. Well, after all it has sat in his garage rarely used for 15 years.

I have the same problem; I am just lucky it allowed me to drive it home 300km's at 110kmh without an issue. I was powering up a steep hill and dropped back to 4th with the engine happily spinning over when all of a sudden it lost power and if I put my foot on the throttle more than a few mm it died. It had me stumped then 2 weeks ago and it still has me stumped today. I replaced the coil with the advice of Suziworld which only wasted my money. I removed the carby and while not rebuilding it cleaned it because it looks new and it did not help. It has new points and the timing is perfect.

I have owned more than 100 cars and have never joined RACV, but with this I have no choice. They actually fixed it for a short time without even looking at it. I had to drive it 70km so knowing I could have it towed if needed I drove it. For a kilometre it drove crap jerking and hopping at a very slow pace and then almost stopping it continued very very slowly and over time performed better. With about 60km behind me and 10 to go it drove at 110 kmh until I arrived at my destination.

Feeling good about again I truely believed that if something dirty was blocking the carby it had been forced out. What a relief, the van was like new again.

That was until the next morning when I tried to start it and it took longer than ever and when it finally did it ran worse than ever.

I do not know what to do. Mechanically the engine is brilliant, but there is this issue that drives me crazy.

I think about a different engine a lot and before I found this site I had thought about a Subaru engine, but that is all time and money when I have a perfect engine with a minor problem that is a major problem for me.

But regardless of anything, this little van will stay in my hands for a very long time. Parts maybe hard and expensive to find, but in every way it is a fun and lovable vehicle. Karu [/b]
ike849

I would say you have dirt in the fuel lines/tank or water in the tank.

- Dump all the fuel in the tank (drain plug underneath) replace the fuel filters (not sure if you have one at the tank and inside the engine bay).
- Run the car for at least a couple of km's
- and then take the carby apart and clean it out with compressed air.

It only takes a very small amount of dirt/rust to block the carby fueling holes and make it run like crap. Like wise it only takes a very small amount of water for it to run like crap....

Running ethanol fuel will help mop up the extra water left in the tank after you empty it. (petrol and water don't mix, ethanol and water do mix)
Karu

I reckon you could be right. In its 24 years of existence the Super Carry has never had an issue with its fuel gauge before. It was driving along perfectly when this trouble started. The gauge was at a 1/4, but when I replaced the filter there was very little fuel left before it dripped out. So it appears that it picked up some junk on the bottom of the tank.

I just pulled the carby off again and when I operate it by hand it squirts the fuel a good 12 feet, but not having a good knowledge on the workings of carby's I would tend to think that there must be another jet that allows the fuel to enter the carby through vacuum, cause obviously we do not have to keep pumping the pedal to keep the engine running.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Karu.
Carryed Away

Im slightly concerned about the noise coming from my Fuel Pump on my Super Carry at the moment, it makes a repetative ticking noise (sounds like its shorting out) but the Van still runs fine, starts up straight away, and runs, i havent driven it, as i have only had it for 2 months and havent had it registered yet.

Any advice/help would be great.
Brightline Racing Fabrications 0401 187 414
Karu

Are you certain it is not the normal tick tick tick of the eletric fuel pump?
Carryed Away

I dont think it should tick that loudly, from experience electric fuel pumps hum, not tick.

Does anyone elses Super Carry Van have a ticky fuel pump?? there are no Carry's anywhere that i could go to compare my one with another to see if it is normal operation.
Brayden

If it is a facet-style pump then it will have a noticeable ticking sound. Like someone tapping morse code.
Karu

Yep, mine ticks. Its a great way to know when I am out of fuel.
Carryed Away

Thanks for the feedback guys, it does sound like morse code Brayden.

Karu, ill keep the running out of fuel advise in mind too :wink:
Jake.G

took my carry to the shop to get a quote on fixing it. and they told me it will be cheaper to buy a new motor and get it fitted.

is there anything with abit more power than the f10a that will bolt up to the same gearbox?

if not where do you reccomend finding another f10a to swap over?

thanks for any help.
Karu

I await with great interest for the replies. From what I have read it appears (and I maybe wrong) that the g13a might fit, but whether it bolts up to the gearbox I am not certain. I have a very good Datsun 1200 engine and although I cannot measure it because of 300 km distance between it and I, I reckon it would be too deep. An engine would have to be on an angle to fit. And even if we could bolt up another more powerful engine we would have to change the diff ratio. It would be no good having a more powerful engine reving itself to death for no reason.
Of course there is another idea depending on how much money we want to spend.

The F10a is still in production with one major difference, it has EFI. Why Suzuki Australia cannot import them is beyond me.

I reckon I would be happy with an EFI F10a. Why can't Suzuki just import the EFI and computer for us?

For something different you could insert a Yamaha VMax engine, they have a tailshaft but no reverse.
Brayden

I have no idea what would make you think Suzuki would have the slightest interest in importing F10A EFI motors - or even the accessories to suit. They aren't in the business of supplying niche parts for vehicles that were never sold in Australia! :P

As for the G13A idea? Have a read of Nehemiah's thread on his G15B conversion and see how massive that project would be.

The easiest option is to rebuild the F10A. There's no reason you couldn't custom make an EFI setup to suit it.
Jake.G

mechanic said it would be cheaper to just buy another f10a and swap it over than rebuild the old one.

this not true? i just want the cheapest/best option.

ill just get some bigger rims/tyres to fix my highway speed problem. dont mind going slow around town. just hate sitting on 80/90 on highway.