Toughening up an f5a

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
EVL_801

Hi guys im about to have to do a rebuild on my lil f5a and im wondering if there if is any way i can prepare the engine for the punishment of sitting on 90ish ks an hour for a 2 hour (200kish) round trip most days of the week any advise would be appreciated

Cheers Vaughn
[img]http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2665/evl801signature.jpg[/img]
holk

Get an F8B. Will sit at 100 for as long as you want
Tez

I don't think a properly rebuilt F5A should have any problem sitting on 90 for an hour, twice a day. - If you think about it, unless you're travelling across the nullabor or doing the entire distance on a freeway, you're not really doing a full 60 minutes @ 90 - you will be slowing down every 10 minutes or so for towns etc. and an F5a should cope with that sort of work. Now if you tried running a full 60 minutes continuously @ 110... If you're really doing that sort of driving then maybe an F5A is not the motor (car) for you.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
EVL_801

Thanks for the help guys, i do travel on the highway from launceston to where i work which is 110 all the way there but as i said i only sat on 90 but as for the problem im buying a car to drive to work them mighty boy will become the weekend car, now if i could seel my rx7 id be fine lol
[img]http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2665/evl801signature.jpg[/img]
Brayden

Even at 90 you're spinning the motor at about 4700RPM, which it isn't going to like for 2 hours every day. I'm with holk on this one, F8B is the best answer. It will happily sit at freeway speed for as long as you want.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
suzutey

F8B is the best answer. It will happily sit at freeway speed for as long as you want.
. so at 110 or 90? my current stuffd motor only likes 80. any faster and it buzzes its tits off and craps itself. ha. i have high hopes for the new f8b im building then. :) :)
Brayden

An F8B in good condition with matching gearbox will sit at 110 no problems.
suzutey

sounds good to me. im coming close to finishing my new f8b, just new everything and bored out. if it isnt reliable after this then i think ill have to sell it. :( . is there any bolts or small bits that you wouldn't normally replace (in a typical rebuild) but that you personally think are worth replacing in the boy? had any problems?
Brayden

In the course of removing/rebuilding/refitting a motor/box I always replace any bolt that has a decent amount of torque put on it, as well as all old hoses etc.

The hoses aren't cheap, but it is worth more than cooking a motor if you split one.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:
The hoses aren't cheap, but it is worth more than cooking a motor if you split one.
That's a good philosophy to use in general when working on a car - if you are not on a shoe string budget, then if you find something that isn't looking so crash hot, replace it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
suzutey

is there a kit of hoses or sumthing you can buy? or just by high temp hoses and make them fit?
Brayden

I bought all my hoses and other parts from Mick at SuziWorld in Melbourne. He's usually on par with competitor prices.
Last edited by Brayden on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suzutey

yeh righto, well i rang them up today to find out about rods, they said $40 each. but suzicare in adelaide said $25. so maybe they arent the cheapest
Brayden

I didn't say they were the cheapest. ;) You also have to ask if the parts are genuine or aftermarket.
suzutey

on par . lol . who would say is the cheapest then ?