F5A rods/rod bolts

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Almost a Mini

Hi all. . .long time no post. . .

About a million years ago, I bought a CA72V Alto (DOHC turbo) with a view to building it up and doing a bit of club racing in it. Well, after a few years of being distracted by 205 GTi Peugeots and DS Citroens, I'm finally getting back to it.

Anyhow, I'm planning on keeping the F5A in the car for a start and I'm giving it a 'freshen up' with new rings and bearings and a little bit of lightening and balancing. Rings and gaskets I've sources without difficulty, and bearings and seals were easy. . .but I'm struggling to source new rod bolts.
The Suzuki contact that I'm using says that the rods and rod bolts were only ever sold as a unit by Suzuki and are now NLA. The rod bolts are obviously just normal press-fit units, so I'm wondering if any experts on the local SOHC carby F5A can have a look at the pic below and tell me if the rod from my import motor looks the same as the local stuff. . .and if anyone here has ever bought new rod bolts. . .and, if so - from where?
The big end of the DOHC rod is the same as the Hatch/Mighty Boy F5A as it uses the same bearing. . .I don't know if the little end is the same - but the gudgeon is 18mm in diameter if that helps.
Does anyone have any advice?

Pete in Perth
1970 Citroen ID19B
1992 Suzuki Cappuccino
1966 Morris Mini Deluxe
1970 MkII Cooper S
1975 Mini Moke
1986 Suzuki Alto RS-X
1989 Nissan Pao
1989 Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16
ToranaGuy

I don't suppose a bolt could be removed from a conrod could it? Then the bolt could be measured up, and a good parts joint might be able to find another rod bolt that will do the job for you.

I'd check my SOHC F5a for you, but i'm fairly sure it's an import as the big ends are 31.98 in size, not the normal size for Aus delivered engines.

What about F8b engines - is it the same story for the rod bolts? Could they be the same size by any chance?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|