possible engine swap / upgrades

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
Steveb

I am struggling with the lack lustre performance of the f5a 4 spd...and am in desperate need of 5 gears and something a little quicker!

I'm trying to find out (which I doubt) if any of the turbo suzuki motors bolt in, or if any bits - turbo manifolds, inlets etc will bolt onto the existing engine...and if any 5 speed boxes bolt up to the f5a

all other carry's I have seen the engine is under the seats...however mine is in the back in the tray...see the hatch/lid in the back of the tray against the cabin.

Any help hugely appreciated!
...um having problems posting images :oops: i might email them to someone kind and have them post for me??!!1
Cheers[/img]
Brayden

You can register for a web gallery here to host your pics:
http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13049#13049

I'm assuming your Carry is a 4WD import? I haven't seen one in the flesh but it seems odd that the engine would be under the tray, unless it is pushed back to accomodate the front diff and transfer case.

Will be interested to see some pics for sure.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
toy550

Put an alto works engine in it. Either the F5B or F6A twincam turbo engines. Not too sure what to do about the 4 speed.
karlmeredith

hi Brayden have put a couple of pics in my gallery one of the motor under the tray (not real clear but you can see the edge of the hatch ) of my 89 carry import and as the other pic shows not 4wd
Brayden

That sure is different to anything I have seen. Its the first Carry Trayback or Van I have seen with the engine pushed so far back. Not sure what is going on there.

It looks like the engine is the standard F5A that is common to all import Carry/Every models of that age. Personally I think your best option would be to rebuild the current motor using an F8B bottom end. That will give you a 50% increase in performance. Of course you'll have to rejet the carby or (if it has Single Point Injection) run a piggy-back computer to adjust fueling.

5 speed gearbox could be sourced from a local SuperCarry, but I don't know if it would be the same given that the motor is in a different position.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.