boy dying

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
mowog

my boy has suddenly started blowing the main ignition fuse. yesterday i was turning at the lights when the motor just died. played around a bit and found the ignition fuse blown.
replaced, engine started, went 20 metres, blew again. replacedit, got agbout 10k, blew again, this went on all day, sometimes it would go 10 metres others times several k .
i have tried moving the wiring around but still blows, can't find any loose wires or damaged wires.
have now put in 35 amp fuse, as the blowouts seem to be temporary, the engine starts as soon as the fuse is replaced.
I am hoping the problem will recur with the heavier fuse and the wire will get hot, which will enable me to track down which one it is, and if it does short for an instant, which is what seems to happen, the fuse will hold out long enough for the problem to clear up.
Brayden

It definitely sounds like a bared/shorting wire to me.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
lambo74

When mine was blowing the ignition fuse it was the black and white wire to the carby solenoid shorting out!!!
[img]http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p464/lambo742003/mb.jpg[/img]

The lemon.
Psi_Wagon

yup ^

ive repaired alot of wiring in my boys around the engine bay. the heat gets to the insulation and it eventually cracks and falls off.

check every wire in your bay would be a good start!
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=180305
Kartman

the technique of using a bigger fuse is fraught with problems - setting your car on fire is #1 reason why you really don't want to do it. I'd suggest using your eyes to look carefully at the wiring to see where the problem might be. Reminds me of the poor spotty kid whose 5L stateman was going up in smoke I saw recently - most likely due to the dodgy cd installation with the pumping subwoofer. I only hope he had insurance and they didn't find out about the dodgy wiring.
mowog

Am aware of possible fire with oversize fuse, only running it to find which wires get hot so I can work which one is faulty.
however just found one of the wires to the starter solenoid is loose on the terminal, falls off, so possibly that is the problem, have squeezed terminal tight now will put regular fuse in and see what happens. checked all the other wiring under the bonnet, no other obvious problems.