adjusting doors

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
me217

hey
i was wondering if you have to take the front gaurds off to adjust the hinges on the doors
me217

1985 suzuki mighty boy : mods, f8b
1990 toyota mr2 gt import : mods, turbo timer, short shifter, 2.5" exhaust
1992 suzuki sierra : mods, g16b mpfi, 235's/75, snorkel & lift on the way.
Billie

yep.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brokenshire

I didn't know there was adjustment to be made, other than a little lifting and stopping the kids from swinging on them.
skez

how do they adjust mine is sagging and causing the door and front paannel paint to contact
ToranaGuy

skez wrote:how do they adjust mine is sagging and causing the door and front paannel paint to contact
Loosen the bolts a tad & lift the door up so it opens & closes without rubbing on anything? I had to do that on my falcon recently, as the hinge is rather worn out, I should get a kit to rebuild it when i can afford it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
skez

so its like the bolts have a bit of play in them and u just lift the door then tighten it but id say it couldnt be done if the door was completly shagged which in my luck it will probably be
ToranaGuy

skez wrote:so its like the bolts have a bit of play in them and u just lift the door then tighten it but id say it couldnt be done if the door was completly shagged which in my luck it will probably be
Most car doors have a little bit of adjustment ability in their hinges, if they are bolt on hinges. If they are welded onto the car, they might have adjustment on the door side of the hinge. If not, they are shagged.

You just loosen off the bolts a tad & lift the door to where it should be, then tighten the bolts again. I have never paid any attention to my mighty boy's door hinges except for a little squirt of wd40 from time to time, so i have no idea if they have any adjustment in them at all!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Breyten

Take the opportunity to change the boltd as well. Also find the correct torqu and use a torque wrench. Even using a short 4" spanner, I managed to shear one of the originals.
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
Billie

There is quite abit of adjustment with the doors. For some reason when my cars jacked up the doors are out and they hit the black thing that it clicks into, then when on the ground its fine. odd.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
ToranaGuy

Billie wrote:There is quite abit of adjustment with the doors. For some reason when my cars jacked up the doors are out and they hit the black thing that it clicks into, then when on the ground its fine. odd.
That's not odd mate, that's body flex. :oops:

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Billie

Woah, these things need a proper chassis.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
ToranaGuy

Billie wrote:Woah, these things need a proper chassis.
That's just Monocoque construction of car bodies for you. Car bodies need to have some flex in them, otherwise they crack & tear.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Billie

Going by what i'v read on here, the mighty boy doesnt even have a monocoque type of chassis. Seem welding would be a way of fixing it?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
gadj

MightyBoys do have a monocoque chassis - the body & the chassis are combined. ie. not built separately & bolted together like a Sierra.
If you want to see serious body flex in a monocoque, get an early HQ on a 2 post hoist & watch the panel gap at the top of the front guard. I have seen them open up 6 to 10mm. :-o
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
stevan_istheman

Another one with serious flex is a chev silverado crew cab pickup...
when we put one on a two post at my old work is was amazed!
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.