drum brakes

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
kensvan

Nozmonkeys,on your van do you have rack and pinion steering and a brake booster under the dash,if so you can swap the front drums with disc brakes :idea:
i love my van
NozMonkeys

I'll have a look tonite but I'm pretty sure its worm drive steering. I haven't found the brake booster in my carry with disc brakes. Maybe I ought to check that out too lol.
synster

yer disc brakes would be great.

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but interested in looking into what it would cost to get disks on my carry, 86' SK410V. Just wondering how i can find out which steering system mine uses and if it had a brake booster, had a quick look at what i could see under the car and honestly dont know what i woud be looking for in terms of the steering systems, as it is enclosed, could post a photo if someone can tell? And where should/would the brake booster be?

Also, if my van is worm drive and has no brake booster, how much harder is it to get disks for it?

Any help appreciated
NozMonkeys

Basically you'll need all the parts off a model with the discs. So theres the brake booster, a vacuum line running to it and possibly a different master cylinder. Then you'll need to find front hubs, rotors and calipers.

Not to bad a job. Just removing the dash, not sure how you'll get on finding parts.

Cheers for that, i phoned a few mechanics ect, and they reckon it would be a pretty big job, one of them mentioned something about having to change shock mounts aswell? Pretty sure its not as bad as some of them made out. Will have a look at a wrecker to try find my own parts, and have a look and see how hard it is to install, if its out of my skill level then ill get someone to do it