Temp sender??

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
v8fazz

Hi guys. Can anyone tell me what the part in the photo is, and what it does? Its located above what I assume is the factory temp gauge sender unit, at the back of the intake manifold under the thermostat housing.

Does it do anything important or usefull? And more to the point - can I remove it and replace it with a temp gauge sender unit for an aftermarket temp gauge?

Cheers.
Dave.

Further to the above - It is also completely sealed at the end as you can see in the second photo I just added. (photos are a bit fuzzy as I took them with my phone!)
Cheers.
Attachments
Image006.jpg
Image007.jpg
Sometimes it's reassuring knowing I'm not the only one pretending to be normal..
Brayden

That is the temp switch for the factory EGR valve. Safe to remove it, but not entirely legal if you're worried about that sort of thing. (Considering it has been plugged the EGR wouldn't be working anyway.)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
v8fazz

Thanks Brayden.

In that case it wont be going back in!

Cheers.
Sometimes it's reassuring knowing I'm not the only one pretending to be normal..
mowog

I think you will find it is not an entirely satisfactory location for a temp sensor. it will tend to read low as it is not exactly in the hottest part of the water jacket. if possible find a place on the head or in the top of the radiator, maybe around the thermostat, not as easy as it sounds, or be ready to be a bit sceptical about the reading shown.
v8fazz

Thanks for the tip. Sounds fair enough, but if Im not mistaken, the sender unit for the factory temp guage is located directly below where I removed the EGR temp switch from. So virtually in the same location. So is it safe to assume that the accuracy of the factory temp gauge would also leave a lot to be desired? Maybe one of the 'in the radiator hose' adaptors would be a better option for mounting the new sender into the top radiator hose, if they make one in a small enough diameter to suit.. Has anyone used one of these? Any other options?

Cheers.
Brayden

Yep the factory sensor is in close proximity to that one. Not sure why it would be an issue considering the coolant in the inlet manifold has come straight from the engine.

The F6A manifold on my ute has the dashboard and ECU temp sensors mounted in it. I'd have to say it is completely accurate because when the ECU shows 92deg on the digital display the thermo fan kicks in, and the switch for the fan is 92deg. (and completely independent of the ECU)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
v8fazz

Sounds good, thanks Brayden. There should be no reasons why I couldnt use it for the Speco temp sender then.. If it was good enough for the factory, its good enough for me!
Cheers.
Dave.