My Wife's '83 hatch

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
45tr0

That was a long, slow trip home behind the Jimny!

It's going to need some work - brake pedal is staying down when compressed, alternator doesn't seem too healthy, a few minor ding and rust repairs...

The most pressing matter at the moment is that I can't get the bonnet to open! :crazy:
Attachments
convoy.JPG
suzuki.JPG
Last edited by 45tr0 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supervan

nice little project...

(The most pressing matter at the moment is that I can't get the bonnet to open!) :snigger:
....its not miles per gallon its smiles per gallon....

1990 f10a supercarry 5speed
small van big plan
45tr0

hehe, cheers.
It's clear from the grille that it's taken a bit of a knock to the front at some point, and I think it might be just a little bent...

Might sound like a noob question, but I should just push down the emblem and lift, right?
supervan

yep as far as i know thats how you open it. what happens when you push the emblem and lift does it move at all

small van big plan
45tr0

nope. won't budge.
supervan

[quote="45tr0"]nope. won't budge.[/quo

phucks me :?

small van big plan
45tr0

[edit]
Found it! wasn't expecting that lever under the dash :roll:

battery now charged and have taken it for it's first run, although it's hard to get a feel for how the engine is going as the brakes seem to be sticking on. I need to get these sorted as the next priority.

anyone got any idea of why the pedal would be sticking down when pressed?
45tr0

Spent the weekend playing with the Hatch once I worked out how to pop the bonnet! :oops:
Half a can worth of contact cleaner seems to have the alternator a bit happier, altho I reckon a replacement will be needed eventually. This one will do for now!

Engine has a few minor oil leaks but nothing major, still got to work out what a couple of these disconnected/blanked off rubber tubes are for; I'm thinking emissions?

Brake problem is the master cylinder, leaking around the piston and sticking inside. Need new tyres, has two okay bridgestone 155/80r12's but these are too big, yeah? Will also need an extra rim, as the spare beneath the car doesn't have one??

Gearbox seems pretty strong for such a little auto, shift is a little vague though - any idea what that means?
A few minor rust spots, the worst is in the firewall seam just to the left of the engine mount, and bottom corner of windscreen on pass. side - will require some POR15 at a minimum.
Will want to replace bonnet, drivers side guard and front lip to clear out the worst dings and a little bit of cancer, if I decide to go as far as a respray. Anyone know if Suzuki or anyone else has NOS/replica panels? Thought there might be an Indian supplier for the maruti or something?
45tr0

Things done this week:

- Carpet, underlay, and 28 years of dirt/sand/grit/crap cleaned out.
- Stripped out ripped and broken plastic sill/kick panel linings
- Belted out some dents in the floorpan, treated minor surface rust.
- Rust in seams of Firewall and rear hatch seal treated.
- Fuel tank removed, checked for rust/leaks, cleaned & refitted.
- New ebay carpet ordered.

To do before RWC/rego transfer:
- Tyres 145/75r12 or 165/65r13. Leaning towards 13 for ease of finding spares, however will need to find cheap rims to suit.
- Fit master cylinder when it gets here.
- Replace torn passenger side seat back.
- Retrim interior with new carpet and vinyl.
- remove and clean seriously gunked up carburettor.

I need help with:
- How does the glovebox lid stay closed? there's no clip or latch in the hole in the dash. What part/parts am I missing?
- Stock Hyundai excel wheels sound like they are the right stud pattern and offset, correct?
Brayden

Glovebox lid should have a steel catch on the back of it, which latches onto a hole in the roof of the compartment.
Excel rims will be fine, although you need bigger wheel nuts to capture them properly.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.