The "Special Ed" build thread

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Brayden

Considering the amount of time and effort I'm putting into restoring this MB, I thought I should put together a thread to keep everyone updated on progress, and to help others out with modifying/repairing their MightyBoy.

As a quick background, Special Ed is a MightyBoy that I picked up cheap last year. The previous owner had spent over $2000 in mechanical repairs, and although the body was rough there was very little rust, and I never overlook a bargain. :D He got the name Special Ed in reference to the Crank Yankers character, because as an automatic F5A he is "a bit slow". :lol:

The original plan was to restore Ed to factory spec and have him as a partner to the Snot Rocket for car/ute shows. However after a few months of driving him around I decided that an MB with factory mechanicals is rubbish, and it had a few non-factory extras that would be difficult to reverse. (the sunroof for example!)

So what I have decided to do is turn Ed into a concept vehicle. Some of you might remember in the 70's/80's there was a fascination with producing cars that "might have been" - Torana XU2, Falcon Phase 4 GTHO, etc. Owners built vehicles that demonstrated what the manufacturer might have designed if they were able to continue a certain model. Given that the humble MB only had a short lifespan of 3 years in Australia, I essentially want to build something that might have existed into the early 90's if Suzuki had kept producing them - a Series II MightyBoy. (Series III if you include the first model we didn't get in Australia)

I'm sure this concept will evolve over time, but to start with I have made a list of modifications that Suzuki might have logically made to the MB. I base this list on the enhancements made to other Suzuki models that continued on after 1988.

In the end I want a ute that people will look at and think twice about whether it has been modified or is a rare example of a factory MB that never saw the light of day. Ideally I would like to make a "Works" Concept that essentially takes all the Alto Works RS/R parts and put them on an MB, but that's a project for next decade.;)

Progress pics will be available in the gallery:
http://www.tamon.org/gallery/v/members/ ... her/redmb/
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
jeff

Howdy , highly commendable and good fun I bet everyone will follow as the work progres's , would it be an assumption to say that the body would be in for some retro modification (that would be very interesting) good luckwith this new project, cheers
Brayden

I'm not sure if the body is going to get much modification. I'll look at what changes Suzuki made to other models of the same era and go from there. Besides the Alto and Swift, there weren't many radical styling changes during the late 80's to early 90's.
ToranaGuy

I look forward to watching SpecialEd evolve!

So lets see, the alto in local form went up to the 1lt engine & had a 5spd option iirc, but you have a F8b in your pics so i guess your staying with the F8b? I wonder if the F8b could be hooked up to the F5a works 4x4 setup? EFI is a natural evolution, so i guess it's on the cards? Evolution could also suggest a cat converter to lower emissions too?

I wonder if you could fit the later alto dash & seats into the mighty boy? I guess a move to H4 type headlights is on the cards?

Good luck with the project.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

The Alto in Australia disappeared in 1988 and didn't reappear until 1995, and when that happened it wasn't a kei car any more, so none of the parts could be retrofitted to the MB. Also, Suzuki kept various models with carby motors right through until 1998 when the Cino and Sierra were discontinued, so there's no need for EFI on the ute. I have already upgraded the headlights to H4 though. ;)

Basically Suzuki went into a lull during the 90's where there were no major revisions to styling or performance of any vehicle in their range. My best guess at what Suzuki might have done with the MB if they continued it would include things like fabric and seat updates, exterior styling changes to the grille and bumpers, using the existing F8B because it drops straight in - the list goes on.

I do have a pretty comprehensive list of planned mods, but sharing it would ruin the surprise. ;)
ToranaGuy

Fair enough. Sounds well thought thru!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Brayden

Work has commenced for the Christmas break, but will probably be slow considering I have to also do a gearbox change on a Baleno and paint two other cars.

I've kicked off with the bodywork by removing the tonneau studs from the body and welding up the holes. All exterior trim has been removed in preparation for a respray, so next up will be an attack with the orbital sander.

Pics of the respray process will follow the work.
Billie

Hey Brayden, I think your idea is great, hope it works out well with the painting.
ToranaGuy

Cool man, can't wait to see some progress pics. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Trav

I know this thread is a bit old, but I noticed on your pics that you got your F8B rebuilt at Suziworld. What did you get done to it and are they worth going to? As I live at Hoppers Crossing, it is easy enough for me to take my engine over there.
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
Brayden

Just a standard rebuild, and I would recommend Mick's services to anyone. I haven't found better value anywhere in Australia. This is the second motor he's rebuilt for me - the first was another standard rebuild (slight overbore) for the snot rocket. It has been running boosted for years now and is as strong as the day it was built.

My only advice is that if you choose to use SuziWorld be prepared for a wait. Mick can take his time if you don't stay on his case. ;) Oh, and he requires that rebuilt motors are installed and log-book serviced by a licensed mechanic if you want warranty.
Trav

Thanks.

Not to worried about it taking time, I've only just started, so need to strip down the MB and get it painted and put it back together.

Don't know about getting a mechanic to install it though. Mmmm, might be a small price to pay if I get a good engine though.

Thanks again for the info.
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
Brayden

Pretty sure the warranty is 3 months/5000kms, which wasn't enough for me to worry about getting a mechanic to install it for me. ;)