Crank shaft oil seal replacement on 1300 engine?

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
oldvanman

G'day

I bought a '99 Carry that had a head rebuild after a cam belt let go.
It has traveled about 30,000kms since then and the crankshaft oil seal has just failed in a big way so it obviously has not been changed. The salesman at the spare parts place says that the leaking oil will have affected the belt and that I will need to replace the belt and seal.
I have had a read of the manual and it doesn't state whether the seal can be replaced without removing the oil pump. Removing the oil pump looks like a bit of a job.
Can anybody confirm what I have to do?
Can I replace the seal without pulling the oil pump?

Regards
Once a 2%er, always a 2%er. (old vanners know what I mean)
NozMonkeys

Oil seal should come out without pulling the oil pump off.
Brayden

The seal can even be replaced without removing the motor. The crank pulley and sprocket need to come off, but you'd be doing that anyway to change the belt. To remove the old seal you need a set of automotive hooks. Before you install the new one clean the housing out with thinners, then grease the inside of the seal but not the outside. Press fit and you can reassemble the sprocket and pulley.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
oldvanman

G'day

Thanks for the encouragement. I will give it a go over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

Regards
Chris
NozMonkeys

The timing belt has to put put on correctly or you can damage valves. So make you you remove and replace the belt to manufactures spec and line up all the timing marks.

Had a customer the other day who installed his belt wrong. We happily replaced the engine for him.
oldvanman

G'day
Thanks for the warning.
I downloaded the Carry Service Manual and printed out the relevant parts.
oldvanman

Success!!!
I have replaced the front seal. If an old bloke like me can do it then anybody should be able to. I did it in a dirt paddock on a set of car ramps. with a trampoline mat to lay on.
It took me about 4 hours and there was no special tools needed ( although smaller hands would have helped).
I printed out the relevant sections of the Service Manual and worked my way through it. I positioned the marks as per the manual and I also marked a tooth on the cam gear and adjacent on the rear plate to ensure that I got it positioned right when putting the belt on.
I took the van for a fast run and no oil or water leaks so far.

The timing belt had no oil on it and was in excellent condition. The timing disk on the crankshaft had deflected the loose oil away from the belt.
gadj

Utmost importance that timing belt be replaced as per manufacturers interval. If the timing belt fails most engines will smash valves on pistons. Many recommend the interval around 100000Km. Interestingly (or not) most later Holden 4cyls have a much shorter interval as the water pump is driven off the timing belt & both belt & pump are replaced together - ignore this & grenade the engine...I love my Suzukis over Euro GM anyday.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
oldvanman

G'day
The belt broke about 12 months ago and the head had to be rebuilt by the previous owner. A new belt and seal was installed but the seal failed. As the belt is in as new condition and done little mileage I am confident in putting it back in.
Regards
gadj

Sounds good :thumbup2: I often include information that others aside from the thread initiator might benifit from, so when you see something that you already know - I have not assumed you are lacking in knowledge or ability, rather, divulging info that will benefit other viewers. We all had/have to start somewhere, if the experienced members here hold back information it will be lost.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
oldvanman

G'ay

I AM lacking in knowledge AND ability, and I am old, so any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

Regards