And so it begins

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
casey

I'm not saying anyone is doubting my car I'm using it as an example bec I think it's on the right path of becoming a very good example of where's the lag what lag I am simply letting the compressors know it's not a very overall good instant response as they think, the little back pressure the manifold n housing could create Depending on how well the flow of gases are kept hot will not make the slightest difference on our machines concerning back pressure restricting the engine. I'm just a very keen apprentice on my 3rd doin mech aircraft maintenance engineer aprentiship down for tafe studying 'We only do things once'
When u goin t bring it out to the track?
if your not first your last CRUSETOWNSVILLE
mini_kompressor

At the end of the day it is kind of academic because these things were never made to be race cars. If you are chasing high power to weight numbers then a Swift GTI is a much better start point. Even my Sprinter would have a better power to weight than most if not all cars on here
Any car, no matter what it is, can be made to race, circuit or street. It all has to do with how you go about it, and how much time and effot you want to put in. If we all went around with that sort of attitude towards these cars, then we wouldnt have any of the highly modified mb's that we have within this group of enthusiests. Dedicated people, wanting to push the bounderies. Thats what its all about, well for me anyway. Its statements like that that realy p :censored: s me off.
As for your "sprinter" having a better power to weight than the cars on here, i think i may have to take a road trip up to QLD, hit some hills and show you what can be made of these little wonders mate!
Billie

I'm with Ben on this. I recken colins/bens/braydens and gavs mb's would give alot of cars a run for there mnoney, especially in the twisty bits.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

As much as I have a passion for MightyBoys they just don't have the chassis dynamics or suspension setup to make decent race cars. Leaf springs have been around since the horse and cart. :lol:

That being said you can make them quite capable of embarrassing other more expensive cars.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
casey

Yea listen t brayden I think the sprinter would love to race everyone especial up hills!
if your not first your last CRUSETOWNSVILLE
nelpd96

Happy to go for a run in the Sprinter :D I wouldn't call it a fair comparison though give it is fitted with coil overs and semi's as well as a fair bit of suspension work. The engine before the rebuild was flogged and still managed 130kw at the wheels with 6 psi as the boost controller wasn't working. With the new engine build and 14 psi on the T25 it should be good for at least 160kw.

I have a MB as well remember so I can comment with some authority. I have also had an MX5 that put out 180kw at the wheels and only tipped the scales at 980kg that I used to race up here is Townsville as well, that car would run 12.8 sec 1/4 mile times and was great fun to drive.

The biggest restriction with the MB is the physical size of the engine that you can fit in there, it just makes it hard to get the power because you are starting with something with a tiny engine. Heck my sprinter only has a 1.6 but I have twice the capacity of the F8 before we even start but we are getting off track.

Casey, As for getting the sprinter out on the track I hope to do it sometime this year. I might even bring my MB out for a laugh and see how it goes but work, house renovations and 10 month old son keep me rather busy on weekends.

Regarding backpressure on the turbo, I think that you would be very surprised on how much there is in the exhaust manifold before the turbo. As a general rule of thumb and engine with a well matched turbo will still have a 2:1 ratio which means to make 14psi at the engine you will have 28psi backpressre in the exhaust manifold. The biggest influence here is the adiabatic efficency of the compressor be it turbo or supercharger as this has the biggest effect on temp increase in the air once it gets to the engine. Anyway I can keep talking about this all day but it is only my opinion
nelpd96

Mini, I am not a hater here just a realist. I love yours and other MB on here that do push the limits I think that it is great but as Brayden said there are some limitations to the platform.

I forgot to add that I will be moving to Canberra in the New Year so I can probably save you the trip and just meet you at Wakefield if you want to have a race. :P
Trav

45tr0,
here are some photos of the Hatch bonnet and right front guard.
Attachments
Bonnet
Bonnet
Right guard
Right guard
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
Tez

Hey Trav...

Think you posted your response in the wrong thread... :-o

Cheers
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Trav

Tez,
Nope, it's a response to a PM I got about a post I had on page two before it got hijacked about who has the bigger blower. :)

Have done nothing new to the boy. Caught up with the guys at the Alexander Truck & Ute show and it was great to see some nicely finished boys. I am waiting for my EFI parts to arive from Japan and just building up the cash supply ready for the next spend. Think I will strip everything out of the Hatch that I want next weekend and then get rid of it. It really isn't in good condition to save.
Trav

Look what turned up at my place. :twisted:
Attachments
Watanabe 13x6 +21 B-type
Watanabe 13x6 +21 B-type
Trav

OK, I'm ripping parts of an '83 Hatch to keep as spares for the MB. Any suggestions what I should keep? Here is what I have taken so far:

F8B engine and gearbox,
Drive shafts,
Sway bar,
Rear suspension, and
Seats.

Is it worth my while taking anything else?
Trav

Some more bits have turned up! Still waiting on my EPI bits from Japan and then I need to save up some cash and I'll strip the boy for painting.
Attachments
MegaSquirt your mind!
MegaSquirt your mind!
Reprint of original option front spoiler
Reprint of original option front spoiler
mowog

are they the chrome door handles?
if so what are you doing with them?
mini_kompressor

How far do the watanabe's stick out past the guard trav?