F8B Block

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
kozzy27

what are my chances of sourcing a new f8b block i've had a look around but just feel like i'm going in circles, but then again you guys are the pros! :)
Brayden

New? Highly unlikely unless you want a Chinese knock-off. Sorry mate. :cry:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
kozzy27

figured but i though i just ask, just another quick question to you brayden are you running forged pistons?
Brayden

Not in my current motor, no. There has been no need as the standard compression is fine for up to about 10psi if the motor is tuned right.
I'm in the early stages of building a new motor which will hopefully have forged internals. I have a friend looking into potential sources at the moment.
kozzy27

i spoke to a mob here in bris (chilton engineering) about me wanting to turbo an f8b and he said forged pistons for sure, so i rang up another place and quoted me $1450! id rather run the risk of the engine blowing, im sure ill find cheaper i still dont know how im going to turbo the beast either carby of use f6a head and efi????? what you recon simplicity wise?
Brayden

I tried going with a carby but could never get it to run at the standard I expected. Being someone who's better with electronics I switched to EFI and haven't looked back.
kozzy27

Fair enough, was it overly complicated or pretty straightforward for the efi setup? I could imagine it costing a couple of thou though. As you could tell pretty new to the scene have been reading a bit just a little stuck which way to go, n/a, carby turbo, efi turbo or s/c
Brayden

Go with what you know. If you're good with carbies and regraphing distributors then that's a viable option. Ben (mini_compressor) has supercharged his F8B and kept it carby-fed. EFI is my personal preference, only because I am better at wiring and electronics than fiddling with jets and fabricating parts.

Either way once you start messing with forced induction it is going to get expensive quickly. Anyone who says you can make a reliable turbo/supercharged setup on the cheap is kidding themselves. ;)

There's a thread in the Technical FAQ that details what my setup has cost me, and it is reliable enough to drive to an event, give it a pasting and drive home - and that is with standard internals. From what I have seen/heard Ben's supercharged setup is also very reliable, and although it is carby-fed I suspect the cost is probably in the ballpark of what I have spent.
kozzy27

Good perspective thanks for the advice if I get stuck I'll sure put another post up :)