running rough, spluttering, coughing hard to start

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
havabeer

hi everyone, i have my little suzuki carry with a F10A in her.

over the last few months i've had massive troubles with the van becoming hard to start which usually leads to flooding. and missing and coughing, the occasional back fire.

now this problem really seems to only happen when i take my foot off the accelerator, or just having it resting on it ie cruising speeds. when i gun it foot to the floor it revs up fine, but as soon as foot off the accelerator the rev gauge flops about the car misses, foot back to the floor again and its fine. or foot off the pedal letting it rev down is fine as well. just slightly touch the pedal and it misses and coughs... but it doesn't do it EVERY time just MOST of the time.

things i've replaced trying to fix this are new plugs (on 3rd set) new coil, new wiring from coil to dizzy. dizzy cap is fine. leads appear fine as well. which leads me to think it might be a fuel problem.

last time i had the intake and that off when i pressed the accell pedal i could hear a whisp sound and then a small amount of fuel would trickle down out of the carby... is this normal?

is there a way to check for over fueling causing bad spark plugs?

thanks for any help anyone can give
Tez

Tez
So the adventure continues...
havabeer

tez, thanks forgot i even started that thread, might be time for a re-read

also theres a vacuum line coming off the dizzy... whats that meant to get connected to? at the moment i have it plugged into a vacc hose thing coming off the carby as i haven't seen any other vacuum lines on the whole engine.
gadj

All vacuum lines on any petrol engine will come off the carby & sometimes the intake manifold. Make certain there are no barbs (vacuum take-off points) left unplugged as they will contribute to the running issues you experience now. It does not matter greatly which one the advance diaphragm is connected to.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
havabeer

pretty sure there is only one vac line on the carby so guess it makes sense.

according to the write up in tez's link i'll prob have to rip the dizzy out and check the points, (i didnt even know what point where as my other car runs an ignitor and individual coil packs)
Tez

i didnt even know what point were
That's why I like the article - it's written about engines of exactly the era our little motors are from... :) (well, in their original form!) :D

Cheers
Tez
havabeer

that info worked a treat tez, followed it almost properly and so after a points change and setting the timing properly with a timing light...had to use a mirror to see into inspection hole... Everything is running smooth as can be. Car starts perfectly everytime
Tez

Sweet :D

Glad I could help
Tez