F5a /F8b engine cradle

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Husky

Ive been doing some reading of old post. Im I correct in saying that there is a difference between the f5a(ss40t) and F8b(ss80v) drivers side engine cradle.
The reason i say this is that I have always doubted how my engine lines up at the rear mount/gearbox mount :roll: . While my engines out I can fit the old f5a cradle if I can find it. Maybe im using the F8b cradle?
Has anyone got some distint measurements to go off on the different craddles?
Thanks
Billie

Yep where the mount is,can just drill a hole in subframe to line up.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Husky

Billie wrote:Yep where the mount is,can just drill a hole in subframe to line up.
Sorry Billie, Not following mate?
Brayden

The difference between a Hatch and MightyBoy driver's side engine mount bracket is that the Hatch engine mount sits about 30mm further backwards, so when you install the motor in an MB it goes in crooked (30mm too far forward) and ends up breaking the lower rear mount (if you can even get it lined up).

To solve the problem you either install the bracket from an MB, or drill a hole in the subframe that allows it to fit up straight with the Hatch bracket.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
stevan_istheman

HaHa! I never knew this.... mine just went in and i havent ever looked at it since. :lol:
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
Husky

Brayden,
Your spot on. I just found my old f5a bracket and measured it.
This means that for 1.5 years ive been driving around with the drivers side of the engine 30 mm to far forward.
the Thing is when I installed the motor it didnt look right and it explains why the rear lower mount broke after 6 months and was so hard to line up. It never felt right!
The guy before me must have done the same because it came out of his MB. I will defintley install the motor with the the f5a cradle when it goes back in.
Maybe this should be mentioned in the f5a-f8b engine conversion if it is not already.
Cheers :)
Billie

Unless he used a hatch subframe.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Husky

I bolted on the subframe that the motor was on as he dropped it from his MB with struts and all. I just cleaned it up pulled everything off. gave it some paint, new mounts and swapped it out for my auto subframe.
mowog

from what i can see this is only important if you are doing the change from auto to manual. if you are just banging in a f8 motor where a f5 motor went there is no problem. if you are changing the chassis there is a problem.
Husky

basically to sum up, you have to use the f5a cradle in a MB(ss40t), auto or manual.