F6A into 88 Alto RS Works?

Chat about anything and everything.
PTK

Hi all,

I bought myself a 88 Alto RS Works about a month or two ago. I had it about a week and then discovered the head gasket had gone. Not sure it was already gone when I bought it, but either way its done for. Took it to a mechanic and was told that due to the circumstances I am better off fitting another engine.

I have been having trouble locating a F5A to replace it, but in my travels came across a F6A from a 91-93 Alto Works. Mine is a FWD, and the other motor comes as a front cut with AWD conversion parts.

What I would like to know is if the F6A would bolt right in or is there a lot of mods to be done. Also, hard would it be to convert it from FWD to AWD? I dont have to make it an AWD, but might as well while I am at it.

If those people in the know could shead some light on my situation it would be great.

Cheers in advance!!
mini_kompressor

Pm sent.
PTK

Surely someone out there has done this before and can answer my question.....

Where are you oh mighty one!!
Brayden

PTK wrote: What I would like to know is if the F6A would bolt right in or is there a lot of mods to be done. Also, hard would it be to convert it from FWD to AWD? I dont have to make it an AWD, but might as well while I am at it.
I haven't performed the swap but I've had both engines side by side and they are the same in terms of block casting for engine mounts and bellhousing pattern. The wiring looms are different though, so swapping the wiring out of your half cut will be a time consuming pain in the arse.

As for the AWD conversion, it is a possibility but as for the direct compatibility of the CL11V to the CA92V... that's something you'll be figuring out as you go. I wouldn't try and bolt the F6A to the F5A FWD box though - those things have awfully short ratios that would be torture on the F6A.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Goofy[HSK]

Isn't the F5A close to the local models?
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
Brayden

Close, but if the F6A is anything to go by the turbo versions have thicker rods and semi-forged pistons.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
stevan_istheman

Big rods you say....
Hmm, makes me wonder if i should bother with billet rods now. 8)
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
cozza

engine is a straight forward swap there a guy running around own here with the same model alto he put the f6a in and has been drieving it for years now. he said it took him about a week in total to do it properly from wireing to a mod plate.
PTK

Thanks for the info guys.

After taking everything into account, I think I might just get a F5A and leave it as a FWD to keep the cost down. Sure, the F6A and AWD conversion would be great, but I just can't justify spending the money. I am planning on buying a 4x4 mid this year and use the Alto as a daily.

I think F5A is the way, just to get it back on the road again.

Also, are there any actual events or meets here in Adelaide?

Cheers all. Will keep you posted.