Rogan's Alto Works Project

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Rogue_Works

i've just found that in third and fourth gear under load the clutch slips, i know it's easy enough to back off, but sometimes that can be irritating when "load" means going up a hill in fourth, and considering i built the motor to be able to run 20psi one day, i would rather do the clutch job once,

that said, youre right, the alloytec leaves the alto for dead... one day haha
"c'mon guys, it's not that small"
Rogue_Works

been a little while since any updates, so

the alto has been running pretty well and the most reliable it has ever been (since i've owned it)... so, naturally, i've decided to "wreck" (as my mum calls it) it a little bit more

i.e. new turbo!

i pulled my finger out today and finally assembled my dummy motor on a workbench
the dummy motor - in ok condition (dropped no.1 bore), but i might rebuild it one day
the dummy motor - in ok condition (dropped no.1 bore), but i might rebuild it one day
here is as far as i got with a manifold about 6 months ago...
SUNP0114.JPG
but it doesn't fit... and i'm not installing bonnet pins to do away with the catch...

... so here's where i'm at; a standard k6a manifold, cut down the guts with an angle grinder
half a manifold, i didnt want to do this but the ultra tight radius of the "runners" was too tempting not to use
half a manifold, i didnt want to do this but the ultra tight radius of the "runners" was too tempting not to use
and this time i made up a template of my engine bay using wire, so i can make sure it all fits!
and this time i made up a template of my engine bay using wire, so i can make sure it all fits!
moving on though, i have come across this little beauty of a turbo via the workshop where i hang out in the afternoons. the head mechanic/tuner at the shop was originally going to twin turbo an SR20, but went on with a different project instead, hence i now have a decently sized turbo!
a size comparison shot, next to my spare standard turbo
a size comparison shot, next to my spare standard turbo
and to finish this post off, a gratuitous photo of a probably larger than necessary turbocharger
SUNP0133.JPG
hopefully more coming soon!
stevan_istheman

Shit!
I thought i was going overboard with my GT20...
Whats that T25? massive!!
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
Brayden

Looks like a RHF3 from a Nissan Exa or a K04 from an Audi Diesel to me. T series have a 4 bolt manifold flange.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
stevan_istheman

I see... failed to notice that before. :wink:
Still a massive hairdryer.
BAL4 Designs
Billie

May hit boost before redline lol
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Rogue_Works

Wow Brayden! you have a good eye! the model is actually RF/JP50 (K04), manufactured by YEQI.

Hopefully it wont be too laggy, i'm hoping for it to hit full boost at about 5500-6500 rpm (after all, the turbo is appropriately sized for a 1.0L engine)... if that doesn't happen I'll just have to upgrade my ECU as well... will it never end? :lol:

the new log manifold should start taking shape tomorrow afternoon with any luck, it will be ugly, but it will be strong and retain heat (hopefully!)

I'll probably throw progress pics up as its made.
Brayden

If it is a K04 from a diesel then the exhaust turbine is designed for low-speed high volume, so it will be laggy as hell. I can tell you first hand that full boost coming on hard at 5500RPM is no fun at all. I've been there with my turbo Every Van and it was shit for everything except the butthole puckering moments when you hit full boost in the wet. :lol:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Rogue_Works

well i can always downsize later on to one turbo off a twin turbo impreza setup or similar (as is my other current option), but then again, awd = no butt puckering moments lol
Billie

660cc's hitting boost at 6g. Mine hits boost at idle :)
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
stevan_istheman

Billie wrote:660cc's hitting boost at 6g. Mine hits boost at idle :)
This doesnt bother me too much because my limiter will be set at 12k. :wink:
BAL4 Designs
Rogue_Works

i've never been game to hit the limiter in mine (10k)... not that confident in my workmanship :wink:
lunacy20bfd

nice thread keep it coming :D details
holk

Any updated pictures? Interested in looking at the back as well
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
Rogue_Works

sorry guys, havent really been online too much lately, will try for some more photos after i give it a bath :wink:

progress has slowed almost to a halt, the manifold is in the too hard basket (for the lack of a welder) but I did make an alloy video camera mount that mounts onto the detachable "shoulder rests" on the seat, either the driver's or passenger's, although I have been using the passenger seat mostly as when driving around, the driver's seat shakes too much with my movement

new problem has arisen - front left brake dragging intermittently, it just seems as though the piston is really slow to return into the caliper, will have to fix that one day.

charging the camera, should be able to post photos tomorrow night