Is there different diff ratio gears available

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
taypav011

I have an 86 suzuki carry diff in my van is there any other diff centre i can put in to lower theill ratio i think it has 5:32 in it now will anything out of a seira fit or another diff i can put under my van without spending big dollars
supervan

hey mate is it a 4 or 5 speed ?

5 speed + 14'' wheels with 175/65 tyres helps out a bit

as for the seira diff gears ive been told that there ratio is somthing around the 4.12 mark but not sure if they bolt into the carry

ive tried diffs from a factory five speed sk410 and a factory 4 speed sk410 and the diff are the same ratio. the seira diff would be somthing worth looking into :thumbup2:

cheers..
....its not miles per gallon its smiles per gallon....

1990 f10a supercarry 5speed
small van big plan
Brayden

I remember hearing that the diff from a narrow track sierra was compatible.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
taypav011

Diff was out of 1l 5 speed 86 carry
in my carry ive got a 13b 5 speed it does 5th gear burnouts haha thats why i wanna bring
diff gears down
Ill have a sus on the seira diff :)
Karu

I have to ask you, is it difficult to put in a 13B and where did you get the gearbox adapter? I am sorry I cannot help with the diff, although I do believe that the 5 speed ratio is the same as the 4 speed and it is 5.9:1. I have 15/195/50 tyres and they do drop the revs down a bit. I had to remove them because it affects it too much, so I have to change from 5th to 4th far too often, whereas in its original form I can drive around in 5th all day until I have to stop. The only thing I could suggest is finding another rear end with a stronger diff with a better ratio and cutting it to the correct length. Not only an expensive job, but you would have to know the best ratio and considering the 5th gear ratio is very low that would have to be taken in to consideration. At least it might add some weight to the rear. Maybe you could find the combined top gear ratio that Mazda gave the 13B. At least with a different rear end you could have rear disc brakes, or at least brake shoes that can be adjusted from the rear of the hub; my least liked part of the wonderful van is having to continually remove the drums to adjust the rear brakes with my next least favourite being F10a's so hard to find in Australia.
supervan

taypav011 wrote:Diff was out of 1l 5 speed 86 carry
in my carry ive got a 13b 5 speed it does 5th gear burnouts haha thats why i wanna bring
diff gears down
Ill have a sus on the seira diff :)

arhh :lol:

shortened 9inch :P
....its not miles per gallon its smiles per gallon....

1990 f10a supercarry 5speed
small van big plan
Karu

I agree with the shortened 9 inch, it will also help the front rear weight ratio.
taypav011

Yeah was a bit of a mission to do. Useing a ford econovan box of the series one.bellhousing and made my own linkage setup
Ive got a fully rebuilt f10a sittin in me shed if your intrested ?
I was thinkin shortened hilux diff.because there is various diff gears i can try. but the way i did the conversion my tailshaft trned out uni to uni so if i get another diff more then likly the housein were tailshaft bolts onto will be longer so i wont be able to make a tailshaft
the carry diff i have is 25spline and hasnt let me down as of yet haha
Karu

Yeah I am interested in the F10A. PM me your number
Mardy

Has anyone considered using a Datsun 1200 ute diff? 4.1 ratio and able to be upgraded to disks quite easily using Nissan R31 calipers and backing plates. They would have to be close to the same width.....
I know nothing....realy! Just ask me....
Brayden

If you were upgrading for strength then a Datsun diff won't gain anything, and doing a disc conversion on the Carry using Swift GTi parts looks pretty simple.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Mardy

I was mostly refering to the ratio of the center.....but the gti brake conversion is interesting.
Mardy

After a bit of googling, the st90 diff measures 1280mm and the Datsun 1200 diff measures 1300mm. A few guys in NZ have used them in their carry vans and utes. The Datsun 1200 sedan has the H145 3.9:1 and the ute has the H165 4.1:1. Other ratios are avalible for the H165 as well, 4.3, 4.4, 4.6, 4.8.....out of various vehicles like bluebirds and c20 vanettes. Drum brakes are a fair bit bigger too.....
slimer

I've got a 1985 scurry (same as carry, just rebadged I'm told) and I'm after a 5 speed, anyone have one for sale? Or anyone done a diff conversion? I'm just after something to be able to hit the freeway with....mines revving of its nut.....don't want to have to do an engine and box conversion if I don't have to.....
Any help would be great.