Carry Truck Questions : Oz vs JDM

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
gZerO

Cheers mate :)

...Ask em how much they'd part with them for, for a laugh. It seems everyone who has a Carry Truck has it because they want it, and isn't selling it. I've asked a few people that I've seen driving them how much they'd part with them for and always get the same response; they wouldn't part with their truck. It's a shame Suzuki doesn't sell them here anymore, obviously not enough demand, even though there is enough demand to keep the second hand market pretty empty of them. Think I've seen one GA413 Carry Truck for sale online in about 12 months :/
There is a very thin line between 'hardcore' and 'totally insane.'
gadj

I would like one myself....have to be satisfied with the Jackaroo daily driver & MB & LJ50 projects.
As posted elsewhere, I am disappointed that Suzuki has all but deserted their commercial range in Aust.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
carry tipper

Im a dairy farmer here in nz i have an old 87 4x4 carry tip deck with a f5a engine that is starting to give problems is it possible to fit a more modern engine to my f 5a gearbox? it not for on road use so that should help with complience type issues. New to this site having trouble finding answers over here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Brayden

Fitting a more modern engine would be complicated. The two easiest options you have are:
1) Get an F8B bottom end and put it together with your F5A head and ancillaries. Easy to do and will give you a 50% power increase.
2) Import an F6A turbo from a DA51V van/truck. You'll also need the ECU and a bunch of other stuff.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gZerO

Dumb question... how can you put an f5a head on an f8b block, the f8b is a much larger bore... = combustion chamber same size as f5a block + f5a head? :?

Would he (dairy farmer) be able to drop an f10a in to his ute fairly easy? ...surely nozmonkeys would have a motor lying round :P
Brayden

Yes an F10A would work, but an F8B puts out about the same power with an easier install.

An F5A head will go on an F8B block if you use an F8B head gasket. The combustion chamber would be sightly smaller, but this would up the compression a bit. :twisted: If the old engine isn't turbocharged then you could use an F8B head as well, just bolting on the old manifolds/sump and pickup.
NozMonkeys

Your right. I do have a spare motor lying around :P
gZerO

Bumping an old thread here...

Brayden, I've just bought karlmeredith's import carry ute (2wd), minus radiator, engine and gearbox. Re the rediculously low top speed, could it be the diffs are actually the same as the oz super carry diffs, but the lower speed is caused by the smaller diameter wheels? The one I've bought is rolling on 10" rims :O

Key differences I've noted without really looking too hard:
smaller wheels
drum brakes on front
narrower mirrors
bumper doesn't project as far forward
rear springs (possibly fronts too) are not as heavy duty
lower gvm (will check next time i'm near the vehicle what it exactly is)
speedo goes up 120kmh, 5 digit odometer
motor/gearbox moved towards the back about a foot or more.

will update with year, gvm, other details over easter...
Brayden

The speed difference is definitely the diff. My last import Every had the diff swapped for a Carry unit and it made a world of difference.

Some import models had disc brake front ends, but the base models were all drums. The rearward location of the engine is a bit of a curiousity, it only seems to be certain trayback models that used it.
gZerO

Found the build plate on the ute today... not in the Australian market Carry's spot either. It's down by the drivers right foot, at the very bottom of the cabin. However it doesn't say what year the vehicle is... only, chassis num, engine type, color etc. is there another plate somewhere else I may have missed...? Surely they'd record somewhere on the vehicle when it was made, and what the gvm etc is...
Goofy[HSK]

try the chassis number on here - http://suzuki.epcdata.ru/
should tell you the build date if its a JDM number
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
gZerO

oh wow! what a handy little tool. apparently it's a march 89, which means no chance of registering it in australia, as I don't have paperwork from when it was imported, and i believe the ppl who imported it (yahoo motorsport, judging by sticker on back of tray) have gone out of business.
Brayden

Yahoo is/was owned by John Verban. He still runs an importing business but seems to change the name every year or so. :lol: So he's still around and easily contactable. Forum handle is 'kcarking'.