EFI questions

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
sonicman23

OK, im trying to think of the feasibility of converting an F8B to EFI with COP ignition.
This would mean using a crank angle sensor and cam angle sensor.

Has anyone done a conversion with either a crank angle sensor or cam angle sensor? Could I see some pictures of how it has been mounted?

Also, what intake manifold are people using when they do these conversions?

Cheers,
Dan
1987 mighty boy, f8b
Brayden

I don't know anyone who has done a COP conversion on an F8B, or sequential ignition. Would be much easier to run wasted spark with individual coils. COP would be difficult given the plug location on an F8B and the crank trigger wheel sounds like a PITA.

For other info on EFI conversions check the technical FAQ on the forum. There's links to info about a couple of EFI conversions in there.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Billie

Coil next to plug is an option, like ls1's and stuff. Kind of need your spark plugs in the rocker cover to do cop. Plus the benefit on a f8b would be minimal compared to the cost. Sirion 3 cylinders run cop.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
sonicman23

Yeah, by COP i meant "coil per plug" :)
1987 mighty boy, f8b
Billie

Individual coil packs best to use 6 cylinder falcon ones with wasted spark
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
sonicman23

Yes, I was thinking of doing the 6 cylinder wasted spark setup, but I'm still not sure about the best way to go about things - obviously I'd need to mount a 36-1 trigger wheel to the crankshaft - I have a hall effect sensor that would be suitable, I'm just not sure how to go about mounting things(as much as I pretend to be one, i'm not an engineer's arsehole!), thats why I was asking if anyone had done it and had photos!
1987 mighty boy, f8b
Billie

Why not use f6a dizzy?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
sonicman23

Im running a chinese electronic dizzy and bosch ignition module and MEC coil in it at the moment
1987 mighty boy, f8b
Brayden

My point was if you have an electronic distributor (hall effect or optical pickup) then there's no need for the hassle of a crank trigger if you opt for wasted spark.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Kartman

Doing this very thing has been on my list for some time. I've done plenty of research but no actual installation! The first hurdle is the 36-1 crank timing wheel. These can be got off 90's ford falcons as well as the reluctor pickup. If you're prepared to pay for the tools, you can reprogram the EECIV boxes to suit. With these, they have the Ford EDIS ignition system in them that drives wasted spark coils. The other alternative is to get a Ford EDIS 6 cylinder module from something like a Mondeo, Exploder(explorer) or source from UK or US. The EDIS module would probably be simpler. For the lowdown on these , go to the Megasquirt site. Since the coils are for wasted spark 6 cylinder engines, you need to tie one side of the coils to chassis, the other side goes to the spark plugs. Coil on plug sounds sexy, but you need to support those somehow which is not a problem for a twin cam as the plugs are usually buried within the head, but for the MB engine, they're sitting out the side. Not impossible, but just another problem to be solved.

My initial goal was to use the Delco (holden) ignition module out of a VN...VY commodore and build a little box to accept the 36-1 pickup and convert it to the signals for the Delco. Some might say I'm not an engineer's arsehole, but that's what I'm paid to do!
sonicman23

Yeah, I was thinking of using 3x Bosch MEC/HEC coils (cheap from the wreckers, common as, very well supported and known), grinding off 2 of the lobes on the distributor and using the VR sensor in that as a cam angle sensor, then mounting a 36-1 wheel on the crank pulley and making a bracket for a Cherry GS100502 hall effect sensor

I have a EMS dualsport laying around doing nothing, I just hope that I can use for ignition only and that it wont go into a limp home mode without any fuel injectors connected to it
1987 mighty boy, f8b