Spongey Brakes

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
gZerO

Hey guys.

bee's dick away from having my 86 tray top ready for inspection and rego.

Had the rear chassis rails stripped completely for painting, so rear brakes lines, diff and proportioning valve thingy have been removed. Just put it all back together and got fluid back through the system (front had some old fluid in, rear was empty and reservoir was empty - it fell over on it's hoses cuz the dash was out) I've bled the rear left drum, took awhile to get fluid but it's nice and clean and air-free now... tried bleeding the proportioning valve thing on the right hand chassis rail halfway down but couldn't get anything out of it...? Moved on to the fronts and no matter how much I bleed them, both sides get air bubbles coming out. pedal is spongey as fk too >:( drove up the drive way, and as expected, doesn't want to pull up in a hurry, and the pedal goes down a fair way. I like nice high, firm brakes, don't like a pedal halfway to the floor before I stop. Have I got a bad seal/air leak somewhere or is it something to do with the valve thing halfway down the chassis rail for the back brakes? a master cylinder/reservoir issue? any help would be appreciated... just wanna get on the road, I've had the thing nearly two years now and it's so close to ready :(

Cheers
Lyndon
gZerO
There is a very thin line between 'hardcore' and 'totally insane.'
Brayden

Why are you trying to bleed at the proportion valve? The Carry has a single-line rear brake setup, so you just need to bleed the rear passenger side until there are no bubbles, do a quick bleed on the driver's side, then the fronts (passenger first). If you can't get the bubbles out of the lines after 500ml of fluid then chances are that the master cylinder is stuffed.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gZerO

I'll double check on the weekend when i'm back with the carry (it's at dad's place) but i'm pretty sure it doesn't have a bleeder on right rear, it simply passes thru to the left side from the front. the workshop manual sez if fitted with a DSP (decelleration sensing proportioning) valve bleed the air out of it using the bleeder nipple... 'bleed the air out' to me means get fluid coming out... but none comes out of the dsp valve :O
There is a very thin line between 'hardcore' and 'totally insane.'
Brayden

In which case I'd pull out the valve, disassemble and find out why it doesn't bleed. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
jezzza

MY brakes got done last week, and they are spongey as. My foot nearly goes to the floor to get my car to stop

Im getting the master changed tomorrow and will let you know how it goes

The seal last time broke in my RX7, and this caused spongeyness, so hoping its the same thing
jezzza

jezzza wrote:MY brakes got done last week, and they are spongey as. My foot nearly goes to the floor to get my car to stop

Im getting the master changed tomorrow and will let you know how it goes

The seal last time broke in my RX7, and this caused spongeyness, so hoping its the same thing
Perfect! Brakes are fully operational and responsive