rims: size, customize etc

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
bigmaddz

so whilst the project is comin along i had a friend who bought rims of a guy who had them on a mb they are 15" but he never got a chance to put them on his so his willing to sell them.

what i was wondering since i have no clue about cars or anything, what customization/ problems would i have if i put these on my mb (from what i know has no suspension alteration although looks like it has)

also would i have the same problems if i bought brand new 14"

this has probably been answered before but why not update some answers
cozza

if you search the forum you will find an thread on aftermarket rims with sizes mods you will need and problems you will find.
milton

cozza wrote:if you search the forum you will find an thread on aftermarket rims with sizes mods you will need and problems you will find.
Yep, this is the one on fitting 15"s
http://www.teammightyboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1970

Generally speaking, 15"s with very low profile tyres are the largest you can go without major mods, or the ute starting to look odd.
Although I think I read somewhere that brayden managed to pull off 17"s :NFI:
bigmaddz

yeah after seeing this i was wondering about ALL tire sizes and what different people thought about the performance of their wheels and what mods they had to make weather it was 13" lowered or 15" stock

http://www.teammightyboy.com/forum/view ... =28&t=5567
bigmaddz

Right so I put them on I'm guessing there too wide/big as I couldn't full lock I only put the front right on and couldn't full lock turning left. Everything fits great except that do any help with what mods need to be done?
Brayden

Move whatever the tyre is rubbing on or fit smaller tyres. 15" rims need 165/50 or 165/45 rubber for clearance unless you have a big hammer.
milton wrote: Although I think I read somewhere that brayden managed to pull off 17"s :NFI:
Yup. :D Although they are the least practical modification I have ever made, and wouldn't advise anyone else to attempt it.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
bigmaddz

I'm Pretty sure there 185/45 which I originally thought where way too big!! So I guess I'm right?
Brayden

I've never seen 185/45/15 - sure they aren't 185/55? Either way they're too big to be practical.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
bigmaddz

Yeah maybe 185/55 they were previously on a mightyboy hence why I brought them!! No problem with clearance just the full lock left
milton

The other thing to consider when fitting larger rims is the offset. If its not spot on you'll get scrubbing on the inside or the guards respectively.
I've got 15" x 6.5" rims with a 35 offset. And 165/45/15 tyres. I had to roll the guards and now there is only just enough room in all directions without scrubbing (unless I hit a speed bump at full speed) :lol:
I believe there's a few running 15"s with different setups though, so it is do able.
bigmaddz

I think I could mod it so they fit but there's not much real point because the tyres would probably last a month before they are totally ruined! Milton I like the sounds of those dimensions although I'm guessing they would be hard to find? And expensive?? I'll ring around today to have a look at a few different places
bigmaddz

also would 175/65/r14 fit? i dont mind if the wheel arches need rolling
Husky

bigmaddz wrote:also would 175/65/r14 fit? i dont mind if the wheel arches need rolling
Apart from being way bigger than the standard diameter, Why would you want this size tyre :NFI:
bigmaddz

only one i can find. i like big rims always look nice
ZUTUTU

Federal make a 165/45/15 which im using on mine. Go to the federal website and click the contact button, send your request and a sales rep will call u up and source out the near stockist for you if not, they will organise them to be delivered to your stockist. They have excellent customer service

Mine is lowered 2" in the front and airbagged in the rear. Front don't scrub at all even on full lock with no rolled guards. rears do scrape when it is fully lowered, but it sits nearly halfway over the rim though.

The offset of your rims will be the biggest killer though, mine are on hyundai elantra steel wheels