Nixxed - the '86 Carry

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
j-six

nice brayden! :) actually this is the "export" model of your former suzuki every model. i do have one though :p
[img]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/cjjayson/jsix_banner.gif[/img]
Brayden

Update!

I've been fiddling with the van in my spare time and I'm starting to get that vintage rat-rod look that I want. Still many mods to go, but I thought I'd share a pic of the pinstriping I did today. I did it using vinyl and not paint, so its kind of a cheating poor-man's method. Still looks pretty good though!

Other mods are the new wheels, peep mirrors and curtains on the rear windows. I've done a bunch of other work too, but I won't share that just yet!
Attachments
DSC_1919.jpg
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Brayden

Replaced both rear wheel bearings today - wow what a shit of a job that is! The rear axles can't be pulled out unless the brakes are disassembled and pulled out first! The bearings themselves are press fit, and have another collar pressed on behind them. Only way to remove is to cut them off with a dremel because its too tight for an angle grinder.

Still, it is VERY nice to have no growling noises from the back end.
Brayden

Wow it has been a while since my last update! In that time there have been a steady flow of small mods, and a few larger ones when I could manage more than an hour to tinker.

The biggest mod was the stereo install last summer. Following on from my previous Every (import Carry) van, I wanted to take advantage of the high roof line and install most of the equipment in a false ceiling. However unlike the previous design I wanted the weight of materials kept down, and maintain head room above all of the seats. (My previous van basically had one big sheet of timber covering the entire roof, which was heavy as balls and reduced the headroom to nothing.

So first of all I cut a sheet of MDF to fit in the roof cavity and installed a 12" sub.
IMG_0252 copy.jpg
This sheet of timber would also serve as a place to mount the two amplifiers I planned to use - a 5-channel to run the speakers and sub, and a 4-channel amp to run two removable subs behind the rear seats.
IMG_0254 copy.jpg
With the sub box built and amps mounted it was time to lift it in ready for mounting:
IMG_0256 copy.jpg
Next on the list was the mounting for an LCD monitor and two sets of 6" speakers between the front and rear seats. The job started with a skeleton made of alloy angle. Here's the start of it going together.
IMG_0257 copy.jpg
Obviously the frame needed to be covered in something, so a couple of 3mm MDF panels were cut and covered in speaker box fabric. In this picture you can also see the two additional 12" subs that sit behind the rear seats.
IMG_0267 copy.jpg
With that done it was time to install the speakers and LCD screen. The screen is just an old 15" PC monitor with a converter installed to take signal from an XBOX or DVD player. To run these gadgets I installed a 600w inverter in one of the handy storage boxes under the rear seats.
IMG_0274 copy.jpg
Facing the front are a pair of 6" splits.
IMG_0273 copy.jpg
Of course I couldn't have the front seat passenger missing out on any of the action, so I put a 7" motorised screen in the dashboard.
IMG_0261 copy.jpg
All up it took about a day to complete the job, and I'm pretty happy with the result. Obviously packing three 12" subs it is bloody loud but it was achieved without compromising on the load-carrying area. At any time I can simply unplug and remove two of the subs and fold the rear seats forward to give me plenty of space, and there's still a sub left in the roof to keep the bass happening.

I'll be back soon with a writeup on the next batch of mods. ;)