electric supercharger

Chat about anything and everything.
killermule

Those guys always do good videos. Gotta love the leaf blowers haha
gadj

Definitely hilarious. I had my suspicions as the electric 'turbo's look much the same as bilge blowers for boats that Whitworths & other chandlery stores sell.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
CHR15 N

Its nice to put that one to rest.
arklan

ok got a quickie here. i hooked put the shop air compressor up to the mighty boys air intake, put it right in and there wasnt a single bit of difference,
how come?
Brayden

Because unless you seal the intake system all you were doing is putting more air in the intake than the engine needs.

By the way, don't try sealing the air compressor to the intake, you'll just lean the engine out and kill it.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Tez

Ummm... OK... I'll have a go at this one...

The maths here is deliberately a little rubbery, but I hope you'll get the idea...

Internal Combustion Engines are really, just an AIR PUMP we operate in order to take advantage of the inefficient side-effects...

So your donk is a? - 543? = (for simplicity's sake let's say) 0.5 L of VOLUME.
so... one revolution of your crankcase = the displacement of 0.5L of AIR.
Being a 4-stroke, you get a power stroke every SECOND revolution of the crankcase for any given cylinder, - i.e - that's one in-rush of AIR every SECOND rotation of the crank.

So at Idle - say 1000 RPM's (revolutions PER MINUTE), your little 543cc engine is drawing in 0.5L x 1000 / 2 = 250 Litres of AIR PER MINUTE.
at 100 clicks (say 5000 rpms,) that's 1250L of AIR per MINUTE your little engine is sucking in, and blowing out the exhaust pipe. (Oh, and there's a little bit of petrol mixed in with the air at the start, and a tiny bit of carbon and other stuff at the end), but realistically, your engine is nothing more than an AIR PUMP with some side-effects - it generates heat, and it creates some limited rotational forces...

So Now lets consider your AIR COMPRESSOR. - It's designed to make HIGH PRESSURE, but does so in very small volumes... All that air rushing out the nozzle SEEMS like a lot, but is maybe 20L per minute (?)

So in one minute, (at Idle) your engine is sucking in 250 L of air - if you offer it up an air compressor nozzle which generates only 20L of air in the same minute, then proportionally, it is only adding about 8% of air BY VOLUME - hardly a noticeable change...

That's why you don't notice any change. :wink:

If your engine is an F8b, then at idle, it's sucking in more like 400L of AIR, and your air compressor would then be only contributing maybe 5% of the air-intake...

So endeth the lesson... :D
Tez
So the adventure continues...
arklan

i gave the fuel reg a little bit to make up for the expected extra air, but the tacho didnt budge a milimetre :/ not even the 5% u spoke of
its a f8c but im guessing the same rules apply.
its compressed air in a small area so when it comes out to go in the engine it just expands to normal psi before it even gets in there because it might seem like a lot but its actually a small amount
^ this is what your saying i think

well damn i thought id have a cool party trick :p