maintenance rampage

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
evilgidget

Yep, that's what i've been on lately, given the fact it's been nothing but trouble for the last couple of weeks, so i put forward 2 more new & interesting problems...

1 - fitted up a vacuum gauge to the manifold, and it reads about 10psi at idle, where i would expect probably about 25. Disconnect the carbon canister, gets good vacuum & runs better than ever.

What is the function of the canister, is it needed & what the hell's wrong with it? i'm electing to leave it off now, but i thought i might ask what it's for.

2 - Back on the last TAMON cruise, Col (bless him) had a thing or two to say about my rattly & poorly-adjusted valvetrain, or more specificly the infernal racket it makes.
SO
pulled it apart & adjusted them, but i still have a tic-tic-tic from the top end. Any suggestions as to cause?
Josh

evilgidget wrote:What is the function of the canister, is it needed & what the hell's wrong with it?
The carbon canister is there to absorb excess fuel vapours that would otherwise vent to the atmosphere. Whether it is needed or not is more of a legal issue, (to my knowledge) and I'm absolutely clueless as to what's wrong with it. :?

i'm electing to leave it off now, but i thought i might ask what it's for.

evilgidget wrote:SO pulled it apart & adjusted them, but i still have a tic-tic-tic from the top end. Any suggestions as to cause?
A 20yo SOHC engine? :D
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
Colin

the canister is for the tank to breath the diaphram on top could be porus
the tic tic usually is a watch :D if its more of a tap tap you have a lose tappet ,,reset them agaom and feel if one has heaps of clearence
MORE BEER! :beer:
evilgidget

Only tic-tic-tic-ing when the engine is hot. When it's cold, it's relatively quiet (comparitively at least :roll: ). Warm oil pressure is about 20psi @ 900rpm idle, wheras from cold its about 45psi (in case it may be related?)
Colin

wear in the rocker assembly
evilgidget

:x

i'll just ignore it then...
Colin

reset the tappets hot and you will get it quiet
evilgidget

fixed another problem tonight :twisted:

Have been having a bad vibration through the steering whilst driving at high speeds, also REAL bad while braking. Turned out to be the swaybar ends & link rubbers (nolathane items) stuffed. Looked to be ok, but i noticed a mild thump while accelerating from a standstill. Replaced with stock rubbers & hey presto! no more vibration, steers true again & is s-m-o-o-t-h as silk to drive again 8)

but i guess you all gathered that i was on to that by the post with the part no's a few days ago :oops: