MB hardcover

Chat about anything and everything.
milton

I'm planning to get a hardcover laser cut. I've drawn up a template in ACAD to get cut and wanted to attach it here to let other people have a look, and see if they think it needed any changes. but it won't let me attach .DWG or .DXF.

the hardest bit will be the fact that the MB tray is not square, so I am thinking ill get it cut out of 3mm ally because it will be easier to shape to the rounded sides of the tray, and it will be light. Then just brace the centre underneath.

the best I could do was print screen and paste the pic.
so if anyone thinks there's anything I should change on here before getting it cut let me know.
cheers
MBHC.jpg
gadj

No obvious issues there. I'd go with the 3mm ally & unless you have access to professional tooling, just cut a sheet of 17mm ply to the shape of the tray & run a router around the back & sides with a 5 to 10 mm radius to make up your form. cut some more ply a little smaller & clamp the aluminium between the form & the smaller piece. Using a rubber mallet or dresser, slowly wrap the sheet around the form working right around the sides.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Brayden

A word of advice - don't expect a CAD-cut sheet to fit neatly. Owing to the lightweight paneling and 25 years of pounding the roads these utes are never uniform/square. If you had less than 5mm deviation I'd be surprised.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
milton

Brayden wrote:A word of advice - don't expect a CAD-cut sheet to fit neatly. Owing to the lightweight paneling and 25 years of pounding the roads these utes are never uniform/square. If you had less than 5mm deviation I'd be surprised.
Yeah it makes it tricky. That's why I took measurements from my ute as best I could, and I'm going to get I cut out of ally so I can knock it round a bit and make it suit.
I've also left a few mm here and there, coz its a hell of a lot easier to trim off than add on :snigger: