F5A block to replace F8B

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
hemiboy

Hello Tech heads,
I have an F5A block and have an F8B engine that is blown my question is what is the difference between the two blocks and what parts are compatible. Admittedly i am hoping that all parts are compatible but i am buying new piston and rods and full gasket set.

Any help would be fantastic and if anyone could suggest parts that i should buy it would be even better

Thanks
The money i save wont buy my youth again!
gadj

The blocks differ in bore (of course). Past posts have indicated that although very similar, there is limited crossover compatibility. The forums search function should bring up at least some of those past posts.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Brayden

You can't use F8B internals (or head) with an F5A block. Besides the 6.5mm bore size difference the F8B block is taller, with a longer stroke.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
hemiboy

Hi thanks for the replies shame that parts wont transfer i guess ill be chasing an F8B block then. Anyone want to part with one? Or should i build up an F5A is it worth doing? Or a waste of Money?
hemiboy

Can anyone tell me if i can use the 99-2004 matiz block as a replacement for my 80's F8B or if i can simply change the head back to carby and run my existing gear?
gadj

Run a search on 'matiz' or 'F8C' & you will find the answer - one of the members has done an F8C transplant. There is also info in http://www.teammightyboy.com/workshop/3 ... onversions. I have also seen a post on new parts available from an ATV supplier in the last week.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Brayden

The F8C is different enough that you can't chop and change parts. The head design is completely different to F8B.
hemiboy

Hi All Thanks for the responses. I have been struggling to find an F8B block so i am going to have to put a standard F5A Back in until i find a replacement. Thanks
hemiboy

OK so as it stands i have an F5A and the only way to get the bugger moving enough till i find a suitable replacement F8B is to turbo charge or super charge. Now i have a set of quad carbies off my zxr900 that arent being used has anyone ever done a triple carb turbo before?
Brayden

hemiboy wrote: has anyone ever done a triple carb turbo before?
Not that I've ever seen or heard of.
Chad_

Im fairly sure there is a black 1 on youtube. Was in jap so might be hard to find. Video has a long closeup of the engine.
Brayden

I've seen more than one triple carby setup from Japan, but never turbo. Will have to hunt down this video.
hemiboy

i have only ever seen it done on a 240Z but it looked like a good idea and given the lag with use of triple carbs i figured a turbo would help the little fella along. The only problem i can see is with the pistons,con rods, main caps, bolts and the gear box holding up to the rpm and slapping a set of willwood's or brembo's on to slow down. In all honesty it would probably be smarter going EPI turbo but its always fun doing something different.

Hey Brayden do you know of many people having bottom end issues with F5A or F8B Turbos? and as far as stronger gearboxes go is there anything i can adapt?
Brayden

Mate I think you're getting carried away with expectations! Brembo/Willwood brakes? These things weigh less than 600kg so you don't need to go anywhere near that far. ;)

I can't testify to the strength of an F5A bottom end, but my standard F8B donk has taken 6 years of 10 pounds without any rattles appearing. Yet to smash a gearbox either, although admittedly I jammed one up competing in a motorkhana.
hemiboy

yeah your probably right The mighty boy isn't like anything ive ever owned. so out of my elements with this project im used to having to over engineer everything. v8's and vtwins