cops the mb and a fuel cell

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
cozza

ok so here goes got pulled over in the mb and defected for the fuel cell i installed. according to the qld transport guidlines for light vehicle modifications a fuel cell can only be used if it is securely mounted and you are still able to fill the cell via the original filler of the vehicle. now i had installed mine myself and had it mod plated everything is within the guidlines. what do i do because they can go jam it if they think im cutting the cell outta the car. mind you the defect notice cost me $265 a 48hr period to fix defect.
Tez

Cozza.
You say you had it 'mod plated'. Is that seen by an engineer and approved by him, and written up, then you'd report it to QLD roads (?) I guess... I'm trying to relate what would happen here in Victoria... If, in Victoria something like this is done, it must be seen by a Vicroads approved engineer and documented and then that report submitted to Vicroads. In that case, if a Victorian copper takes exception to your modification, they will look up on their in-car computer and see there is a modification listed against your registration for the fuel cell. I can only think other states would work in a similar way so that, if you've done the right thing, you should be in the clear.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Billie

48h? really?. I got my fair share of defects. Standard 110 bucks and 2 weeks to clear in qld. Even for my locked diff.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Jermaine

If its been mod plated then it should be fine.. Sounds like the cop was bein an ass.. I'd be contesting it or getting a second opinion
gadj

I'd have a talk to the 'approved person' who plated the mod for you. If you can formulate a report that points out the fuel cell is legally & safely installed then the cop has to rescind the defect & eat humble pie. It may also be worth talking to TMR standards division staff to see if they have any answers for you.
At the end of the day, the Govts. want us all driving late model cars with all the safety features & antipollution gear possible. There is/has been pressure for this applied via financial lenders & the police & TMR inspectors.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
cozza

ok so i have the car back now paid the $80 impound fee drove it straight over to the cap shop walked in and asked them to have a look at it. i handed them my defect notice the elderly officer took a look inspected that it did have the mod plate checked that all numbers matched said it was all good and cannot understand why i was issued with the notice in the first place considering it was all within the guidlines and was appoved by an approved inspector who mod plated it. as he said if it was knocked back and did not have the mod plate then there would be something wrong. he then asked me to follow him he went through got some paperwork and well lets say that young copper who issued the fine and defect isnt getting any extra brownies.
Billie

Thats odd. They dont impound your car for small offences, not even my locked diff got me impounded, even under the new hoon laws.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
gadj

Sounds like 'Sarge' got to 'polish his boot' on the defect issuers 'tailgate'. Saves you needing to fill out a complaint.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Brayden

Well the officer who defected you was partially right. In a sedan/hatch/wagon if a fuel cell is installed in the boot then it must use the original filler and the boot must be sealed airtight from the rest of the cabin. Utes/trucks are a different story because the tray area is separated from the cabin.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
cozza

well according to the guy who inspected it and filled out the mod forms and put the plate on the car was more then happy with the job he said it complied with all the required criteria. i dout he would have done the plate if he knew it was not compiant and put his business in jepody.