Free, Real Performance Boost

Chat about anything and everything.
Tez

Just spent 15 minutes on the boy... and what a difference!

With the colder weather upon us (well, at least down south here, in Victoria!) and driving to, and from work each day with the headlights on, I've started having 'power' issues. I thought my tiny little 4-year old battery was well... past it's use-by date.

The car has been getting progressively, ever-so-slightly harder to start, and on Sunday, I had been driving for about 20 minutes when, I pulled up at a set of lights and the car just stalled. Trying to re-start the car, it just went "no-oo-oo-o p e ...."

I got my brother to pay me a visit and a jump-start got me home, where I put the little battery on charge straight away.

So I popped into our local 'battery world' outlet this afternoon (where I bought the battery 4 years ago!) with the view to replacing it.

The ever-helpful guy wheeled out a gadget with two dirty great big analogue meters on it, a dial in the middle, and jumper leads the thickness of my thumb attached.

He connected the leads onto my battery, and dialed up some load on the battery. He was surprised to see the meters reporting that the battery was still supporting the battery's designated full load. Declaring the battery fit for purpose, he then checked my alternator output. It's putting out plenty of juice, so he was a bit stumped as to why I might be having power issues. He took another, closer look at my battery terminals, and suggested I pull them all apart and brighten them up with a wire brush...

15 minutes with a brass wire wheel in a battery-drill had every face of every contact shiney and new.

Bolted them all back together again and made sure they were firmly snugged up.

Jumped in the driver's seat and turned the key. Holy Crap! The motor nearly jumped out of the engine bay it started so fast! And idles like a dream now too... :D

Happy camper. Best 15 minutes I've spent on the boy in ages...

Don't believe me? - try it yourself! - You won't believe the difference.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
hemiboy

Hahaha so very true one of my best mates is an auto elec and is forever harping on about clean faulty or incorrect terminals and stupid customers who forget to turn their lights off( ME) one thing he always makes me do with every car is up the amperage in the alternator so the charge rate is at 14.8. The little things make the biggest difference and batteries are designed for constant charging.

Great Post Tez.
The money i save wont buy my youth again!
Trav

Get some CRC Battery Termainal Protector and spray on to keep them clean. Helps keep the corrosion away.
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
gadj

Don't apply anything to the terminals until leads are in place & secure - the corrosion inhibitor/grease or whatever can cause resistance. Clean terminals & leads, assemble then protect for best result.
I had a similar situation with my Jackaroo recently. Diode pack died & no part was avail. so I replaced the 50A alternator with an 80A - no more flat battery (which I also suspected was at it's life expectancy).
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Billie

I hate that blue spray shit, does more bad than good.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Crazee

What a coincidence I read this then a couple of days later my hatch decided it didn't like to start first start of any day, cleaned my terminals and no problems now, also just thought I'd add to check your water level if you have an unsealed battery, mine was quite low. Top up with distilled water to the bottom of the spouts (look it up if you're not sure) and if cleaning the positive terminal of the battery make sure your negative cable is disconnected first or you might do some accidental welding

Also Billie is right on, that blue stuff works its way down into the connection, saw it heaps when working at a Toyota dealership all the tech's were sick of cleaning it off again they gave up using it
Suzuki F8B Hatch
Goals for the future:
Paint car orange
Get RANGA3 number plates
Over 100kw and awd...
Gotta aim high right?

that blue stuff is expensive, I just use a dab of cheap grease once everything is clean and tight. Also you can pour boiling water on terminals gets the buildup and corrosion almost instantly.
TurboKat

I've always used Vaseline on mine.
I hear it's good for battery terminals too. :snigger: