Heating up the accelerator cable

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
1TUFMB

Evening guys,
Having a slight problem, trying to fire up the mightyboy after re transplanting the engine back into it, The engine attempts to wind then gets a "click click" noise like it has a flat battery (but its brand new), Then duck my head back under the bonnet to have a squiz to see what's holding it back and rest my hand on the accelerator cable and f**k me it was red hot like ready to melt the coating kind of hot!!, so naturally i'm curious as to what could heat up the accelerator cable ?? especially to such a degree im stumped checked wiring in the general vicinity to check for fraying or any damage and nothing.
If anyone could help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Chris
Growing old is inevitable, But Growing up is Optional....
Brayden

Definitely a wiring issue. First thing to check is the battery leads, specifically the earth and main +ive connection to the starter.

The accelerator cable will heat up when the wiring is bad because it becomes the only conductor. It is earthed to the motor (at the carby end) and chassis (at the pedal end).
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Tez

Agree with Brayden.
Sounds like your earth lead from the motor back to the battery is non-existent or insulated somehow and the power is finding another route back to the battery via the throttle cable and the car body.
There should be (at least) two earths attached to the motor - one from a bolt on the gearbox to the battery about the thickness of your little finger (to carry all that current) and another - usually a copper braid from the rocker cover across to the grille support (so it can repeatedly flex as the motor moves without breaking)
There should also be a fairly heavy earth lead 6-8mm dia(?) from the car body to the battery tucked in behind the passenger-side headlight.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
1TUFMB

thanks guys will start looking into it today
thanks again
Growing old is inevitable, But Growing up is Optional....