Gauge problems

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Kermitthecar

Hey guys, im having some trouble with my water temp and fuel gauges, they both don't read anything.
I pulled the cluster out and hooked up a new ground but still nothing.
Any ideas?
XiT

i had a wonky fuel gauge that my old man fixed, was back at the tank something was loose
If you can't wish for more wishes, wish for more Genies
m00neelee

Did they both stop working at the same time?

I had a look at the wiring diagram and both the sender units earth at their end, not through the instrument cluster, so if the cluster earth is faulty nothing in the cluster would work properly.

I would try looking at the issues seperately.
NOTE: The term Mighty Boy is a registered trade mark of the Suzuki Motor Corporation and in no way represent that the vehicle is Mighty or a Boy, but it is a ute damn it!
Kermitthecar

They where both not working when i bought the car.
m00neelee

Kermitthecar wrote:They where both not working when i bought the car.
Easiest test is the temp sender unit.

1. Check all the fuses.
2. Check you have power getting to the guages. They share power from the same fuse.
3. Connect the wire at the temp sender unit directly to earth.
4. Turn the ignition to power.

If the temp gauge goes to max temp the sender unit is stuffed, if the temp guage does not move it means the temp guage is stuffed, or there is a break in the wire between the sender unit and the instument cluster.
Last edited by m00neelee on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTE: The term Mighty Boy is a registered trade mark of the Suzuki Motor Corporation and in no way represent that the vehicle is Mighty or a Boy, but it is a ute damn it!
holk

Hey Kermitthecar,

Nice colour :D

I had the same issue with the petrol sender unit and it was disconnected underneath the parcel tray, inside the car (from memory there is bullet plug).
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
Kermitthecar

Thanks m00neelee will try that out.
@holk yeah its pretty from far but far from pretty, planing a respray very soon (same color)
gadj

If the problem persists, the fuel sender can be cleaned up with CLR (Calcium Lime Rust)recalibrated as per the workshop manual & reinstalled. You will need to remove the fuel tank to access the sender, remove it from the tank, carefully undo the tags on the sheetmetal box at the top of the unit to access the varistor coil. use a small soft paint brush to brush the CLR around, rinse thoroughly & dry.put it all back together once you have the calibration procedure done.
If there is still a problem it will most likely be in the single wire that attaches to the sender.

The temp gauge is most likely the sender which can be replaced easily but check the sender wire hasn't broken or corroded first. Temp senders must be earthed through their body to the engine/radiator so make certain there is an earth strap from the engine/radiator to the battery.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..