Engine overhaul

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
makie43

My mighty Boy is blowing a bit of smoke so I am thinking of doing an overhaul, I put an ad in the wanted forum for a short or otherwise motor so I could do it at my leisure whilst still driving my MB but although a lot of lookers no reply,so it looks like it will have to come off the road. Question: Is it possible to get an engine overhaul kit? Or do I have to source the needed items individually?
Tez

Hi Makie43.

To be honest - the easiest way to get a motor is to buy a complete car from the likes of Gumtree etc.
That way you get an engine and a whole raft of other spare parts as well. :thumbup2:

If you're looking to go that path, then you'd obviously pay more attention to things like the condition of the engine than the interior or bodywork. You might find a bargain.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
makie43

Thanks Tez I'll keep my eye out!
Brayden

You can get a kit for the head (VRS) but I think the bottom end is bought as separate parts.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
KEVIN

It all depends on what you need, pistons & rings could be standard or oversize if you bore it they will have to be oversize, bearings could be standard or undersize depending on crank. You will need to know all of this before you can order anything.
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
mowog

it could be something simple like valve stem seals.
you can fix these in car with out removing the head.but you have to have some way of stopping the valves from dropping through, i have heard of using compressed air through the spark plug holes or gettin a strong string and feeding it in through the plug holes jamming it tight .
of course you can remove the head but if you are going to do that you might as well stick new rings and bearings even if not really needed as they will be needed eventually . saves doing the head twice.
makie43

Pretty sure it's not valve stem seals because it doesn't blow smoke on start up, only under load towards the top of the rev scale????
Brayden

Do a wet/dry compression test and you'll have your answer.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.