Convex vs Flat rear vision mirrors

Chat about anything and everything.
CHR15 N

Apparently convex mirrors are an aftermarket replacement option for MBs. Most forums seem to talk of converting modern cars with standard convex back to flat mirrors. I have always thought the convex wider view was a good thing.

What are your thoughts?
Brayden

The MB is small enough that I don't tend to use my side mirrors much, so I can't see the need for convex glass.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mowog

I use all the mirrors all the time. i like that i can adjust the left side mirror from the drivers seat by just reaching over.
convex mirrors are bloody dangerous they don't give a correct view of the traffic behind you I consider they are the main cause of a lot of accidents. up until a few years ago they were illegal, if you imported a car with convex mirrors the authorities made you take them off. but the manufacturers wanted to fit them and our road safety people will always cave in to big business so they first became legal on the left side and now both sides. i always replace them with flat mirrors which give a correct proportionate view of the rear, although the convex mirrors do give a wider view on balance I don't like them.
gadj

I like my main mirrors flat but have found convex mirrors very useful so I have put convex blind spot mirrors on my vehicles for some time now. My Jackaroo has an extra convex mirror on the left end of the bullbar that gives me vision from the bottom of the front wheel up to the roof rack. My MB had blind spot mirrors until they fell off - will replace them in the latter stages of restomodification. Even though the J'roo has 6 mirrors & a reversing cam, I still seem to somehow miss pedestrians who insist on walking close behind my reversing vehicle.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
CHR15 N

Interesting to hear the pros and cons