Rogan's Alto Works Project

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Rogue_Works

Was going at reasonably hard, rev limiter 4th, changed to 5th, kept into it for a while and it jumped out of gear, gear stick returning near neutral. continued to jump out of 5th so to the workshop we went.

Pulled the engine out and gearbox down, the retaining nut on the end of the shaft holding 5th gear on had broken and pushed off, allowing 5th gear to come loose.

Also found some of the bearings to be buggered and 3rd with free play on its shaft too (explains notchy shifts in and out of 3rd).

Well, on to phase 3 of the cars life i guess..
"c'mon guys, it's not that small"
Crazee

So what's the plan then? Been following this thread since I joined the forum, quite impressed with your work so far :thumbup2:
Suzuki F8B Hatch
Goals for the future:
Paint car orange
Get RANGA3 number plates
Over 100kw and awd...
Gotta aim high right?
Rogue_Works

not entirely sure where it'll head next, depends how cheaply i can find a donor suzuki swift or barina :NFI:
n2o_spark

Wow reading though all of this has been amazing!
I'm almost done doing a k6a conversion to my 87 alto works, up to the wiring loom now xD and you've just given me so many ideas on what I can do after.

Also I'm trying to find out what happened to my old k6a box, it might be useful to you.
Rogue_Works

thanks for the offer on the box but a g13b turbo swap is just about finished (no longer awd). starts and runs.
benny

What? Details please rogue
Rogue_Works

Well, the workshop where I work has an off road buggy. Well, the boss' son does (also works there). It was powered by a de-compressed G13b turbo. Since CAMS decided that anything running a turbo was placed in Pro Class (i.e. engine restrictions of 3.5L turbo or 6.0L N/A), clearly this buggy was at a slight disadvantage. As such, it's engine was removed in favour of an F20C out of a Honda S2000 (Thus dropping it to Pro-Lite; up to 3.5L N/A).

This meant there was a surplus turbo GTI engine laying about the shop and, considering it was no good as a spare for my buggy (also running a G13b but N/A) due to its lower compression ratio, I thought I'd give installing it in the alto a go.

It went in easier than I thought it would, spent nearly 4 days solid on it over the Christmas - New Years break (My boss gave me a lot of help on two of those days; good bloke), and it was bolted in, mounted, radiator fitted, gear linkages made (the alto having cables whereas the swift has a shaft), brakes upgraded and floor and firewall de-tarred. Because why not?

Most of the parts I needed for the conversion swapped over with little to no modification (there was a donor 4 door swift involved). Struts and hubs, brakes, engine and gearbox mounts amongst other things were straight forward enough to change over.

Since then, progress slowed as work started again and motivation was lost for a while. But now that it's fired a shot in anger, things are progressing again

Jobs left to do:
clutch cable
new radiator cap
brake light wiring
tape loom up
tune

I'll post some photos (i.e details) once it's tuned and I've had a drive.
benny

Wow awesome, u making it sound pretty straight forward, just out of interest what u doing with the CAS setup from the k6a?
Rogue_Works

Benny, for interest's sake, I'm intending to keep the k6a complete for a future project in the pipeline..

Still sorting out the clutch, cable didn't work, hydraulic conversion with a CNC pull cylinder instead. Bought a new toy/tow vehicle this week (D21 Navara ute), more keen on tidying it up as a daily with the alto for a weekender at the moment. Racing season is beginning again too so unfortunately the little whizgig is even further down the priority list at the moment :( never mind, in 4 weeks time progress can start again on it.

New tyres arrived for my 13" mags (down from 14" 165/60 R14). at the 175/50 R13. should be interesting and accelerate quickly... one day.

Main reason that this project is now on hold due to racing is that I taxed quite a few components from my buggy (accelerator cable, brake cylinder, brake lines, CAS) and so must be transferred back again.

Painfully close to driving :?
n2o_spark

No worries, This thread makes me soo slack, i've been doing a k6a conversion on my 87 works rsr and it's taken 2+ years and i'm finally up to doing the loom..... I'll get around to that in the next year or so... lol
Rogue_Works

its fast but im not happy with it. probably not a good swap all things considered.
benny

Why not happy mate?