Electronic Ignition woes.....

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
ToranaGuy

Hey everyone,

I've recently fit a pertronix Ignitor electronic conversion to the dizzy in my mighty boy. Fit the module inside the dizzy and a 1.5 ohm coil. Before fitting the coil, the boy would start easy & idle, but nothing more. Since upgrading the coil to one with only 1.5 ohm resistance, it will now rev without load, but when you go for a drive, it takes ages before it picks up the rev's.

Then it goes like stink! :roll:

Currently running BPR5es plugs in it iirc. They are about 5,000kms old, and a little fouled up, but not bad where the spark jumps the gap. I can't remember the gap I was running, but I have a feeling I mighty boy tightened it up a tad when I fit them last. I think I've got a set of BPR6es (colder plugs) in the shed I can try with a stock gap tomorrow night after work.

I am still using the factory power wires for the coil, if I understand correctly there are 2 power wires, one gives 12v on cranking and the other is a resistor wire that drops the voltage to the coil when the engine is running? I have tried a power feed directly from the battery, doesn't change the way it's working.... Really got me scratching my head.

Anyone got any thoughts? Runs good with a brand new set of points, but the bakerlite on them wears out only a tad, then the timing goes all out of whack, due to worn dizzy shaft.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

The lag you're describing sounds like an issue with the advance curve. Does aggressively advancing or retarding the distributor make any difference to how it runs?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ToranaGuy

It would seem like the curve is out. I have not tried playing with the timing much, other than advancing it a little, but the idle starts to stumble very quickly. I've checked it with a timing light, at 900rpm the timing is on 7deg, correct for a F8b iirc.

Maybe the module is the wrong one for the dizzy? I tried Proquip's tech support today, but they were busy & I didn't hear back from them.

I've got a new set of plugs I'm going to try, see what happens...Maybe the plugs are playing up?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Psi_Wagon

which module did you use? the one i used required the removal of the ballast resistor for best performance
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=180305
ToranaGuy

Psi_Wagon wrote:which module did you use? the one i used required the removal of the ballast resistor for best performance
I used a Pertronix Ignitor 1 module and also a coil from the same mob. I have not yet removed the resistor, have been advised it shouldn't be required, but it might run better with it removed.

I've swapped the spark plugs after work tonight, and it improved a tad. Got out my inline spark tester, that you plug inline with the leads, checked each lead, sparking really well. Got a nice 40,000 volt zap too! :oops:

Tested the coil to dizzy lead, not so well there. Replaced the lead with a spare, no change. So I pulled the dizzy cap, cleaned it up a tad, still no change. Swapped the dizzy rotor, funnily enough the new rotor button is a neater & tighter fit to the dizzy shaft.

Issue solved! It would appear the rotor button was vibrating, possibly moving enough to cause issues? Anyway, issue solved. It pulls like a teenage boy again, lol. Now I just have to find my tacho & rig it up again, check the exact timing @900rpm, make sure it's where it should be. I have not yet played with the timing....

Next issue to deal with, hopefully suzi world will have a speedo cable for me by thursday arvo. I'm now needing a male drive cable to suit my new F8b box. Worst case maybe I can rig up an adapter to get the speedo working? In the mean time, I need to adjust the shifter a tad, it's a bit hard to get 2nd gear, all others are pretty good.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Brayden

If you have a female cable and female speedo drive you can just put a metal tab in between them to mate them up. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:If you have a female cable and female speedo drive you can just put a metal tab in between them to mate them up. ;)
That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. I should have some aluminum in the shed that I can make a little tab to do the job with as a temporary measure. To be honest tho, I'm not fond of temporary measures, because they seem to become permanent, instead of just fixing it right the first time. Life get's too busy, and you forget to go back & fix it properly....

As it is, my original speedo cable is a tad worn I think, so a new one wouldn't be a bad investment if I can get one. If suzi world can't get me one, I'll get flexi drive to make a copy of my broken one, maybe get a couple made up if there is interest?

Can't wait to go on the cruise, even tho there is a lot more I'd love to do to the boy beforehand, I'll put up with it to have some fun!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
ssc87

dont happen to have the part # by chance?
arklan

Brayden wrote:If you have a female cable and female speedo drive you can just put a metal tab in between them to mate them up. ;)
i did this with mine
ToranaGuy

ssc87 wrote:dont happen to have the part # by chance?
Honestly I can't remember the part number, but I do have the invoice somewhere. You can get the pertronix modules thru repco, they are a seller of their gear. You will however need to talk to someone who has either sold them before or you will need a part number & to tell them you get it from Proquip, otherwise the average pimple-face on the counter won't be able to help you lol. (I know this, I work for repco, I'm on the trade desk at the store I'm at most of the time).

As for the speedo cable, I still haven't fit up my new cable lol. The temp fix worked, but the speedo needle jumps a tad due to the fact my temp fix isn't a 100% tight fit I think. I think I have driven it all about about 1600km since the fix to the ignition & speedo cable, and most of that was on the 2013 cruise. I missed the 2014 cruise, I was in the USA on Route66 on my honeymoon.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
rf4burns

Honestly I can't remember the part number, but I do have the invoice somewhere. You can get the pertronix modules thru repco, they are a seller of their gear. You will however need to talk to someone who has either sold them before or you will need a part number
Unfortunately I got one of those pimple faced young'uns you mentioned, so if you can supply a part number I might actually be able to order one other wise it looks like I'll still be filing/buying points. Cheers
Get with it ,Get over it ,Get on with it .....OR LEAVE
ssc87

Was this a 6 cylinder kit to suit something? Or did you end up finding that part#?
ToranaGuy

I've had a look on the Pertronix website, the part for our suzuki distributors is 1632 according the the catalog. I'm not sure if that's just the module or the kit.

One thing I do know, my mighty boy didn't run properly until I fit the Pertronix flamethrower coil as well.

http://www.pertronix.com/catalogs/pdf/p ... ix2015.pdf

I know the supplier is Pro Quip that they are obtained thru in Australia.

http://www.proquip.com.au/

I just fired up my boy after sitting for more than 4 weeks, pulled the choke 2 notches, pummped the peddle twice & hit the key, started in an instant & idled good. :-) Couldn't do that with points without lots of maintenance.

Cheers

ToranaGuy