`800 Beast project

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
800beast

Hi everyone, i have recently obtained a 1983 Suzuki Hatch 800 from a dear old lady that lives up the road. it was her husbands car that passed away 13 years ago and hasnt moved since. this is just a few pics of the progress and issues i come across along the journey..
IMAG0231[1].jpg
pretty good condition for its age, not even a crack on the dash
pretty good condition for its age, not even a crack on the dash
like new back here
like new back here
paint looks pretty bad
paint looks pretty bad
needed tlc
needed tlc
big block 800 2speed auto
big block 800 2speed auto
800beast

Turned out i dont need a respray, cut and polish worked a treat.
after a cut and polish
after a cut and polish
after a wax job
after a wax job
IMAG0269[1].jpg
800beast

I got it started the other day and found a few issues..
1. Water pump bearings are gone and system is full of rusty crap and scale. Most of the radiator tubes are blocked.
2. fuel pump leaks oil out the little hole.
3. The whole carby secondary jet centre tube thing looks snapped off and rattles around and comes out.

I have ordered a new water pump and flushed all the craps out the system, going to need to fix the radiator or replace it.
Does anyone know can I use a cheap electric low pressure fuel pump off ebay? They are heaps cheaper.
And as for the carby, I think it needs a new one so I'm going to start checking some local wreckers and hope for the best.
142636977648855420721.jpg
Is this normal?
Is this normal?
mowog

the centre venturi thing just plugs back in, it is not fixed permanently.
the fuel pump has had it you might be able to get a diaphragm for it.
an electric one would be good but you have to organise a cut off for it in the event the engine stops you don't want it pumping fuel out everywhere in case of an accident.
Psi_Wagon

dont bother with a cheap electric pump, you can still get replacement fuel pumps for a decent price!
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=180305
800beast

Recent changes are..
New mech fuel pump is in, New water pump , thermostat and timing belt are on. Carby rebuild kit is sitting on the bench waiting.
Started the little lady up to test it all out and it started first turn Of the key. And now the carby doesn't leak, must have just needed some fuel to wet the o-rings after all.
I've changed all my vacuum lines on the carby to blue silicone as they were split and falling off. Looks a lot neater now.

Still need a thermo fan switch, radiator cap, change the trans oil and bleed the brakes then I can take it around the block!
Brayden

800beast wrote:change the trans oil
FYI you'll only get about 1L by draining the pan of the auto. The other 2L of oil is in the torque converter and passages of the box.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
800beast

I got a new radiator from the wreckers and a Trans oil cooler because they only had a manual one, New radiator cap and a new fan switch And the engine runs like a new one.
Bled the brakes to find both rear cylinders are shagged so just waiting On the new one to turn up.
I'm so suprised at how available most of the parts are still. The wrecker has 5 passenger side panels for $50 each.
IMAG0359.jpg
800beast

I got hold of some chevoit wheels off a corolla real cheap, the fronts will need a shave to increase the offset but backs are perfect. They painted up a treat too.
IMAG0467.jpg
IMAG0489.jpg
Purple and yellow go great together, I'll have to get a photo in the sun this weekend.
800beast

I thought I would replace some of the radiator hoses before going on her maiden voyage. Now I know why the heater wouldn't work, the tap and hose were solid mud.
IMAG0515.jpg
IMAG0516.jpg
IMAG0514.jpg
IMAG0522.jpg
Brayden

Looks like flares will be next on the list!
800beast

I'm going to try and get 10-15mm shaved off the front rimS so I don't need flares.
800beast

The front wheels got 12mm taken off them and now sit close to flush, if I give it more camber they should tuck nicely.
IMAG0562.jpg
Just yesterday I got around to installing a stereo for it. I went with a Sony mechless media player because they are only 95mm deep, but I still had to make a mounting plate because there wasn't enough dash to mount it on.
IMAG0630.jpg
Tested it out on the expressway!
IMAG0628.jpg
Attachments
IMAG0625.jpg
Brayden

I'm kicking myself that I didn't use a mechless head unit when I did my last stereo update. Really, who uses CDs any more!?
800beast

Exactly my thinking! they are heaps shorter and you almost always have all your favorite music on your phone or computer anyway. It's still needs a little sub under the rear footwell area I think.