Lowered springs

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
holk

Husky wrote: have other people who have them got a "X" after the KSFL-12?
Cheers :)
Just Checked mine and no "X"
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
holk

On a separate note.
Is there anything I can put between the strut top and the chassis (something like a medium compound rubber disk) to soften small bumbs?
As I mentioned before the front is very stiff and every small bump makes the car shake
Husky

Is there anything I can put between the strut top and the chassis (something like a medium compound rubber disk) to soften small bumbs?
If you could find a medium hard rubber like compound that could be drilled or turned on the lathe, it could be placed between the spring and Part that pushes on the spring. It would also add a bit of preload. 50mm diameter with 18mm hole in the centre width to suit.

I have emailed king springs regarding the "X" will let you know if and when I get the answer.
Cheers :)

Sure,

Its all here http://www.kingsprings.com/

Its the type of Material used.

Regards ,

Kris Tarrant

Sales and Technical Services

IT Manager
KING SPRINGWORKS PTY LTD
Husky

I have installed trhe KSFL-12 (265mm free length) springs and it lowered the car 18mm from the MB springs(sa struts), but it is much stiffer. I took it for a quick drive and it feels great! a different car :) Nice and direct steering, less body roll and no scrubbing. I will need to drive it with 2 people to be fully sure but so far so good.
I've made up 17mm spacers on the lathe so that the spring is preloaded around 5-7mm to stop it coming unseated on full rebound. I will see how this goes.This happens to be exactly the same fitted spring length as standard MB struts and springs(262mm from outside top spring plate to outside bottom spring seat) If I need slightly more preload/ride height I will adjust spacers accordingly.
Once im happy with the setup I will look at getting the rods machined down depending on price or keep the spacers there. On Saturday Im picking up new strut tops to fit.
My set up is as follows
Standard rear leaf spring 50mm lowering blocks(dato 1200)
Hatch KYB shocks
SA (Monroe) front struts with KSFL-12 springs(17mm spacers on top of spring plate)Now sits around 43mm lower from standard MB strut and spring
tyres 165/55/13.
I have replaced ALL suspension bushes and the lower control arms and rack ends. I'm very happy with the static ride height, The front is slightly lower than the rear.
Cheers
holk

Changed the springs to a "custom job" on Tuesday and the car drives 1.000.000 times better.
My suspension guy (Damien at Suspension City, which is a King Coil distributor) has done a great job: he has organised for King Coil to shorten, from memory , some Jimny springs and re-powder coat them. The car, which was too low anyway, has been raised 1.2 cms,but with the section of the spring 1 mm bigger, the front feels cemented to the ground.
Whilst everything was off, he has replaced (free of charge, that's why is a great dude) bump stops and newer strut tops I had from a donor car and tighten everything up.
All the issues I was complaining about on another tread have disappeared: no more rattling or bottoming up (which had disintegrated the strut tops).
It is incredible how a small part change can improve the pleasure of driving the car.

If anyone is interested in the part number, I can find it out from him (I haven't checked them yet for the part number, but I know they have been re-coated).
Husky

Ive done a small change with my front end. I installed 20mm spacers above the spring to preload the spring around 5mm at full extension. It felt fantastic but "Looks wise" The front looked a little high compared to the rear.
I then machined down the strut posts 20mm and fitted 10mm spacers now 15mm preload at full extension.
Now the front has dropped another 8-10mm and it looks spot on but I think it handled better with the 20mm spacers before. However there is not much difference. :) Ride height on the front is around 40-45mm lower than standard
murryinc

Will these suit carry front?
Brayden

I've used these springs in the front of an 86 SuperCarry and they fit, and the ride height lowers nicely. But to be honest they're a bit on the soft side, which makes the ride really bouncy. I joked that it was like driving a jumping castle. The added weight of the driver/passenger over the top of the front suspension is a bit too much for springs designed for a small hatchback. Ideally an extra 50-100lbs preload would be much better. King Springs can make the same springs in a custom rating, however that comes at a cost.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.