G10a engine transplant under way!!!

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
gadj

Thanks again Paul. This confirms my thinking & I will now need a Mk2/3 Swift gear shifter & linkages. It is the simplest means of getting the rods the right way around. I like your extractors, might do a set for mine down the track.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
nelpd96

You should be able to use the MB stabiliser if you are clever but it has a smaller hole so it might be an issue. The only real difference between the MB and swift is the flexly joint thingo at the end. If you can make an adapter between the two then you shouldn't have to buy new stuff. Having said that it would be a lot easier if you could just buy the swift stuff.

I had to bend mine a little and off set the linkage to clear the steering rack.

Cheers
Paul
gadj

The gear shift assembly I have came as a modified item to suit the Mk1 transaxle. The previous owner had changed the forward ends to Swift configuration. I could modify what I have but the stabiliser & shift rods would be crossed rather than parallel (unless I switch the stabiliser to the Right hand side) & it appears the exhaust would have to be lowered around 40mm for it all to work.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
nelpd96

You should just be able to flip the whole stabilier over to uncross them if that makes sense, as the bolt pattern is symetrical, as you are probably going to have to bend and shape them anyway.

Regarding the extractors, there is a set on ebay for $166 at the moment to suit the G10. I think I paid nearly that much in bends and collectors.

Cheers
Paul
gadj

I'll have a look at that idea, thanks Paul. Extractors most likely outside my budget for now but I'll take a look just the same.
gadj

Brace rod has been flipped, yet to try it back in the car. Looks like it will be fine. I will try to get some 19mm & 16mm(ish) tube to extend the rods. I just happen to have a tube bender suitable for the task :) . My plan is to cut the existing rods at a straight section & insert the smaller diameter tube. The new sections will slide onto the tube also, allowing a good deal of adjustment prior to welding. Have to hope Dad's 6 tonne press is up to removing the bushes from the rod ends so that I can use the existing ends on the new set-up.
gadj

Wet weather & Her upstairs have not helped further progress. I have been able to get the brace rod ready to weld - I had to cut the ends off, flip the shifter end (spaced down 15-20mm & the pipe bent to clear the floor-pan)& then bent up new pipe to suit. I have used the overkill method in using 16mm tube inside each join. The shift rod looks to be pretty right as is, just have to make up another double yoke to connect the shift rod to the selector shaft.
gadj

Got a little more done today seeing her upstairs was out. In between interruptions, I cut the exhaust just forward of the seatbelt stalk bolts & at the front end of the resonator. The section with the resonator has been reversed to move the resonator rearward & clear of the shift linkages. Welding it back together is going to be rather interesting unless I can get the MB further off the floor - it is up on stands yet just enough to get the creeper under let alone swing tools.
gadj

Finally found a solution to plumbing the air intake on the G10a today, been right under my nose - or that of my Jackaroo for some time. I had been looking at more expensive & difficult options with the cheapest option being a sponge type uni-filter that has proven impossible to get hold of through local suppliers. Once i obtain another Jackaroo part I can run an airbox or pod fairly simply without clearance issues.
Intake pipe on 3.1 Td Jackaroo
Intake pipe on 3.1 Td Jackaroo
Jackaroo intake pipe on G10a
Jackaroo intake pipe on G10a
gadj

New hope has come over the horizon for my getting any MB back in service. Last week I had a new 2.5 inch exhaust built on my Jackaroo - the supplier/fitter had acquired a parts donor for his MB & offered me the remains... just happens to have bits I need for 'the redone' but seeing the shell is in better nick rust wise, I'm considering having the shell stripped & I'll repaint before transferring my parts over to the renewed body.... also considering something different in the way of 4wd conversion for what is left of 'the redone'. Most of the rust is in areas that would have to be cut off or greatly modified to get the cab around an inline 4 cyl - more on that idea if it eventuates. In the meantime, I need to find a wet blasting outfit on the Sunshine Coast/North of Brisbane to do the stripping.