Matiz f8c conversion cv joints

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Swampy

Hi Gus n girls
Not sure if this topic has been raised or not but I'm planning to transplant a matiz engine into my MB and Iv got most things worked out I was wondering if anybody has taken on this project if so what problems did u run into with cv joints if any and how you over come them and ant other probs that might pop up thanks Joel :D :-D
arklan

http://www.teammightyboy.com/forum/view ... =28&t=6206

i did this to my boy
ok so the drive shafts from the mighty boy will fit in to the matiz hubs and gearbox ends, but u need to machine them down a few points of a mm
youll also need to widen the valleys in the splines, then they go straight in
i used a metal lathe with a belt sander sanding paper to turn the spline down a bit, cant remember how much u need to shave off but it was something like 0.4mm
to widen the valleys i used a battery grinder and carefully went in to the grooves, never had a problem

youll need to add an engine mount to the front as the matiz motor has a fair amount of rocking force and broke the engine mount i had at the back
the drivers side engine mount with that U shape bit of metal that bolts on to the engine, will bolt on to the matiz motor so that side is easy to connect up, on the gearbox side you can take all that metal off and the mighty boy engine mount will go in there aswell (i made a plate to use the 4 bolt holes)

the engine is really tall, i lowered the K frame (cut and reweld) about 3 inches aswell as leaning the engine right forward and it still wasnt enough, i had to put a "commodore" style hump in the bonnet (toilet set)
if you can get an intake manifold made up that doesnt go so high or get it off something else or whatever youll save yourself a lot of headache
the guys on this forum heckled me to no end for lowering the K frame but i wasnt looking to have it engineered.
if you are, then you seriously need to take a good look at everything before u do anything

i had an auto sparky come and wire it all up from the engine loom of the matiz to the mighty boys dash loom, the computer went under the centre console
because of the way the gearstick is with that box it has, youll need to put the centre console in your boy to make the gearstick look neat, which is an easy job. you also get the benfit of having the power windows buttons in the middle for when/if you put them in

back to the topic of the CVs, to get the drive shafts out of the hubs, mine were in kind of a bad condition and i had to get my dad to sledge hammer it.

the exhaust pipe i got the front half ot he matiz and back half of the mighty boy and welded them together.

i put in a bigger fuel line because i was worried that the original mighty boy fuel line wouldnt be big enough for the new motor. that was crap, you can use the original mighty boy fuel lines.
youll need an efi fuel pump, mine is an inline ebay special, first one stuffed up so i bought a bit better quality and it still stuffed up. my fuel tank was rusted as hell so i put 2 fuel filters and eventually it stuffed up again. so then i just chucked it and got a 20 litre fuel cell (in place of the spare wheel) no problems since except for no fuel gauge.
youll need to get a fuel pressure regulator, the matiz fuel pump had one built in but since u arent using that youll need to get one.
if u have any plans of adding boost you should put this in the engine bay, otherwise keep it near the fuel tank

for the radiator, mine just barely fit with the motor and the top hose was rubbing on the air intake, eventually the fan stopped working due to always rubbing on something and i took it out, eventually i got a 3 core mini radiator with no fan, never had a problem even in summer
the 3 way overflow bottle that comes with the matiz, you can toss that and just go from raditor to engine to radiator, a normal overflow bottle to the normal radiator overflow hose will be fine

for air intake, because there is no room, i just got one of those sponge pod filters that you have to oil every now and then ($15 from ebay)
the muffler guy got me a bit of tube the size of the pod filters opening(3 and a half inch i think from memory) and a piece of tube 2 and a half inch i think, the matiz air intake size, and flanged it for me.
so took that home, welded them together and i had an adaptor for the pod filter that cost me 5 bucks
i used the elbow hose that comes from the throttle body but turned it over so it faces back in to the engine bay, plenty of room that way except for the air sensor wanting to fall out all the time, i should sikaflex it one day

the matiz engine really is tall, dont let anyone tell you different
it wont matter how much you rotate the engine, it is too tall to fit without modifying something

edit: just saw your post about wanting performance, the plastic intake manifold wont handle that, so you can have that remodelled lower and behind at the same time
Swampy

Wow thanks for all the info seems no matter witch way I go sounds like I'm in for some head aces