Diesel Project

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
pn1701

Frame needed to be inverted to weld up the fixtures, so I took the opportunity to pull the motor out and clean and paint it.  Next time it goes in it won't EVER be coming out....seriously tight fit!
Attachments
SANY0016a.jpg
SANY0015a.jpg
Kei

Looks great man.  Good job!
pn1701

Motor is back in the chassis, so time to start the driveline. Here the first of the two 6 wheel drive bogies starts to take shape. pete
Attachments
SANY0065a.jpg
pn1701

Bogie assembled, but without brakes at the moment. Here I have lifted the frame to slide the bogie in. Then I will lower it on to that bar to check if suspension calculations worked. The jackshaft at the rear is located by torque rods to prevent axle windup.
Attachments
SANY0067a.jpg
pn1701

Most 3 axle bogies rely on compensating bars to even out the load. Clyde Engineering departed from that idea and used a simpler method using 6 sprung axleboxes but then a second subframe with 4 sprung corners.  I seem to have underestimated the weight as the springs are partly compressed, so I will add inner duplex coils soon. Frame should end up lower, about  level with that line of welds.
Attachments
SANY0071a.jpg
pn1701

In case you are interested, this is another Kubota Mighty Boy hybrid.    (Mightykub?)  Similar layout to mine, but bigger.
Attachments
P1030307a.jpg
pn1701

And another ,somewhat smaller, using a 2 cyl Kub, mated to a MB auto that has the diff on top (90* rotated) . With locked diff and one bogie drive via a Datsun 1600 diff. Neat, eh!
Attachments
180983_187367127969428_2186667_n.jpg
Brayden

I'm really impressed that an MB auto box can handle the torque of the diesel motor.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
pn1701

A bit of progress. Transmission and final drive all connected, Now has air brakes, the Honda Civic radiator, fuel system,  dummy fuel tanks (to hide the diff) and a spaghetti of wires.  Gear selector and throttle are temporary rods. So it's outside and started first time (albeit in a huge cloud of smoke from standing so long)   Top up the auto to fill the converter and first tentative steps out on the rail.   If all the tests pass, then I'll start the bodywork.   Pete
Attachments
P1030443.JPG
pn1701

https://www.facebook.com/peter.nixon.54 ... 092572929/
Out on the track it performs well. Some things to sort out include overheating as motor has no water pump (thermosyphon doesn't work if radiator isn't higher than motor) which can be cured with electric pump. Also alternator is reputed to be only good for 4 amps, which isn't enough to run air compressor, electric fan and water pump. I now have a different 14 amp alternator which might swap without too many probs (other than having no room for anything!)
More worrying is that the torque converter has no slip, it engages at idle. Otherwise the auto is fine. Gears selected manually, while low can be switched in, all other peripherals removed or disabled.    Maybe I assembled something wrong when marrying auto to diesel. Any ideas?
Brayden

There's not really anything you can assemble incorrectly as far as the torque converter goes. Even in an MB the transmission will drag at 800rpm idle and requires brake force. Only solution I can think of would be a custom torque converter that engages at higher RPM.
pn1701

Well, as I suggested in reply 2 up, I did indeed assemble something wrong, I used the wrong marks when lining up the bellhousing and the stress finally destroyed the drive plate. Went with a bang. Picked up all the bits and started again. Make new flywheel and add the outer of the flex plate. Realign everything and make sure runout does not exceed .005" (achieved .002") 
While the motor was out I listed everything that wasn't "quite right" and set about fixing it.  Reversed the radiator, added water pump differently to aleviate air pockets, remove 14amp alternator and make bracket in front of timing cover to take 40 amp alt, running backwards. Electro pnuematics brakes got the chop, subbed with a truck trailer brake valve.  Add a new dashboard and a complete rewire and tentatively hit the key.
It works! Idle is smoother and slower (with more flywheel weight). Auto engages gently and smooth. No more overheating and a battery that stays up.   A weekend of testing the "naked combo"coming up, then start on alloy body  (36 louvered doors, yuck).
Pete
Attachments
P1030603a.jpg
P1030604a.jpg
pn1701

Finally got it all together and running nicely so time to hide it all behind its Queensland Railways clothing. Big job but satisfying result.
Attachments
P1030857a.jpg
Brayden

That. Looks. Amazing.  8)
frednutz

very nice great job  now go and enjoy  :)
located ferntreegully victoria