Maximum size engine you can swap in.

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Zuffen

I think we've all read the regulations on the maximum engine size we can use under table LA1 of the VSB's.

I also think we've failed to read the paragraph right before the table in the VSB.

I've come to conclusion that the MB isn't restricted in what size engine you can fit, other than physically.

The table states it does not apply to NA or NB1 category vehicles.

The MB is a Category NA vehicle.

I have an email from my Engineer agreeing there is no actual limit, rather the engine swap would be restricted by good engineering practice.

I asked what I could do with an early Carry and he said he would engineer a normally aspirated small capacity V6.  This means you could fit a Eunos, Suzuki or Mazda V6 into it.  It would also allow use of VW V6's. Most of these are 150-200FWHP territory.

I then asked about a stock turbo 4 and he said OK.

If I did a 4 cylinder swap it would be a 4G63 from a Mitsubishi Evo and couple it to a rear wheel drive 5 or 6 speed transmission.  With a computer tune only I can get that up to 200KW at the wheels.  Laclan's Evo VIII has 206 at the wheels and the engine hasn't been opened up.

We're currently looking at our options but a Mitsubishi Clot Ralliart swap looks like it would fit in an MB without too much stress.  Only 115KW in stock form.  Oh, that's only 98KW more than a stock MB!

What are peoples opinions on this?
Brayden

Wow, that's an clever pick up. Nice work! I can't believe I missed that para before - even after my ute was engineered using the NA regs.
Still, there are constraints around the firewall and track width that make it difficult to engineer a big motor swap - in either north/south or east/west config. Of course those constraints come down to the view of the individual engineer, and if you're willing to go to ICV lengths then anything is possible.

I haven't measured a 4G15 engine, but I assume it wouldn't go in without some creative cutting. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Zuffen

I only stumbled on it as I'd forgotten the formula so went and started reading.

When I read the NA exemption I couldn't get the paperwork out for the MB fast enough.

If I did another it would be the same cut off the front and use the donor engines front end.

I'd also use the same Engineer.

Biggest problem I see is the track width on things like the Starlett or Colt are up to 150mm wider than the MB, which means it would have stupidly big flares and look a bit silly.
Jeo

Define "fit".

At the pint you're cutting up the chassis to fit a 4E-FTE, making your own shorter driveshafts seems like the least of your concerns.
Zuffen

Angle grinder in one hand and the MIG in the other.  Worked last time.

If you have a look at the Thread Lachlan's MB it explains what you can get away with in cutting a car up without going ICV.

There's more misinformation out there on what you can and can't do it's a joke.

The MB was my 6th car I've had Engineered, one was an intentional ICV, and it amazes me what you read on the net.