3rd gear jumping out under load/on Boost.

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
86BOY

Recently had the motor out of the boy to get the new clutch installed and replace the bottom engine mounts and just do a general tidy up while I could get to everything. I had a spare box lying about and decided to swap them over while the whole lot was out. I pulled the box apart, replaced the bearings, painted brackets and even went over the whole outer case with a wire brush. It looked fresh.

I had thought this whole time that this spare Gearbox was off an F8B, as the markings on the bottom of the inspection plate were identical to my gearbox but different to a spare F5a I have, boy was I wrong. Got everything mounted up, motor in, put front end back together and went for a drive. Went through the gears and realised 4th was already screaming at 80, I had put an F5A Box on my F8B motor *facepalm*.

So now the motor has to come back out AGAIN to put my original F8B box back on. For as long as I have had this motor and box, 3rd gear always jumped out, even worse now when I hit boost and makes the revs smack limiter if I don't physically hold the shifter in place.

What can cause this jumping out issue? The shifter base has been adjusted, rear engine mount is in great condition and I pulled out the 3rd gear selector shaft and checked the detent spring which is still factory spec length. Could it be something within the gear set to make it violently jump out of gear? I don't want to have to hold 3rd especially when I want 2 hands on the wheel coming out of a corner ready to hit boost. Thoughts?
Last edited by 86BOY on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boosted F8B Pocket Rocket.
xlent_24

the baulk rings on the selector in the box could be worn causing it to jump out under load