RF4Burns Build

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
rf4burns

ALL INFORMATION IN THIS BUILD IS PROVIDED AS INFORMATION ONLY :!: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR HOW THIS INFORMATION IS USED AND ANY OPINIONS STATED ARE THAT OF THE AUTHOR.*Unless otherwise stated, all images and written content copyright of author. Any unauthorized reproduction, copying, duplication, plagiarism, scraping etc is strictly prohibited

Radiator Replacement
So the time has come to replace the original radiator. This is the method that I used it is not the only
way to achieve this or necessarily the best way just the way I did it.
Remove bottom hose to drain coolant (the easy one to get to is under the car -note this vehicle has
an automatic and I don’t know if the manual is the same)
photo 1.jpg
Remove the top hose, top to mounting bolts (10mm spanner) and overflow bottle hose
photo 2.jpg
Begin to lift the radiator from the vehicle, as the radiator is removed you will need to disconnect the
fan and temperature control switch wiring plugs
photo 3.jpg
This will allow complete removal of the radiator from the vehicle
photo 4.jpg
The radiator should be stripped of fan, bottom hose, temperature control switch and placed aside
for reuse as necessary

A length of 50mm x 3mm x 3m aluminum flat was purchased from bunnings and was used to
fabricate the mount; a U-shaped section was bent to fit the radiator measuring approx. 38cm x 28cm
x38cm (this was cold bent in a vise using a hammer)
photo 5.jpg
photo 6.jpg
Holes were drilled in the bracket to allow the radiator to be bolted to the frame NB: the 91mm
measurement from the bottom of the U should be 81mm or your radiator will sit to high
photo 7.jpg
4 off ¼” x 3/8” bolts will be required to fit the radiator to the bracket (a 7/16” or 11mm spanner will
be required)
photo 8.jpg
A small piece was also bent for the bottom mount 170mm x 50mm (made to long to allow height
adjustment)
photo 9.jpg

Remove the bottom radiator mount from the vehicle (2x 10mm bolts) accessed from below
photo 10.jpg
Get with it ,Get over it ,Get on with it .....OR LEAVE
rf4burns

Test fit radiator
photo 11.jpg
And bottom bracket
photo 12.jpg
In my case the following measurements resulted for the bottom bracket
photo 13.jpg
*see further on for how the 20mm was found
photo 14.jpg
photo 15.jpg
Two 8mm holes were drilled in the bottom bracket and it fitted to the vehicle using the original 6mm
bolts (10mm spanner)
photo 16.jpg
The radiator position was rechecked and bottom bracket and frame marked (this is how I got 20mm
for this measurement)
photo 17.jpg
photo 18.jpg
The below measurement is what resulted for positioning of the bottom bracket
photo 19.jpg
The radiator was removed from the vehicle and the bottom bracket welded in position Note: you
could use pop rivets or bolts for this it does not have to be welded
photo 20.jpg
rf4burns

Two brackets 65mm x 30mm were bent to provide top mounting these were welded inside the top
to the u-section flush with the top Note: these could be pop riveted or bolted along the top
photo 21.jpg
The radiator was again reassembled and test fitted and holes marked for drilling with 8mm drill bit
as the two original 6mm bolts are used with nuts for fitting
photo 22.jpg
Also, the bottom plug position was marked approximately
photo 23.jpg
The unit was disassembled and holes drilled for the top mounts and temperature switch
photo 24.jpg
The bottom plug was drilled (in my case 14.5mm and tapped 16mm x 1.5mm to accept my
temperature switch) and the hole in the frame adjusted to allow the switch access
photo 25.jpg
O.k onto the fan fitting I initially was going to set this up as a blow fan but I ran into a problem with it
fowling on the top but I will describe two methods of fitting the fan not using the cable ties that are
supplied as I do not believe that these are a good long-term proposition
Method one: Nutsert
These used to be quite expensive but are now very cheap thanks to offshore supply
photo 26.jpg
And many years ago I made my own nutsert fitting tool from an old pop rivert gun; any way the fan
was placed on the radiator to find a position that allowed two of the mount holes to be marked and
these were drilled and nutserts fitted
photo 27.jpg
You will note that the core does not extend under the bracket and the nutsert can be fitted without
issue
photo 28.jpg
Method two: Drill and bolt; the initial drilling is the same except that only bolts and nut are used to
hold the fan in position; the nut was held in position with a piece of plastic for fitting
photo 29.jpg
photo 29.jpg (24.98 KiB) Viewed 12477 times
The foam strips supplied were used to ensure the fan does not vibrate against the radiator
photo 30.jpg
rf4burns

My fan was supplied with bullet type connects but I wanted to use the original connector so the pins
were removed from the old connector of the fan
photo 31.jpg
You should end up with the below, a separate plastic bit and two spade terminals
photo 32.jpg
These were cut from the fan and the end opened out and soldered to the new fan Note: do NOT
refit the plastic plug at this time
photo 33.jpg
Fit the radiator to the vehicle; bridge out the temperature switch and insert the fan terminals into
the fan plug. Turn the ignition on. The fan will run, check the fan is going the correct direction; if it is
not swap around the position of the fan wires in the plug
photo 34.jpg
photo 34.jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 12477 times
Once you have these correctly identified these, turn the ignition off and refit the plastic plug by
inserting the terminals into the rear of the plug (these only fit one way around) and plug in the fan
photo 35.jpg
As my temperature switch is now on the opposite side of the radiator, I made an extension wire and
plugged this in as well
photo 36.jpg
Now all hoses were connected and tightened all mounts tightened and the radiator filled with
coolant and the system bleed (brought up to temperature without the radiator cap off until the
thermostat opened and the fan came on, the radiator topped up and the cap fitted.) job done1
photo 37.jpg